I'm a Cloud Jira Admin with 0 IT knowledge, how can I evolve ?

Houssein Barkallah December 8, 2022

Hello all, 
I have been using and administering Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket Cloud for around 2 years now.
It has been an amazing experience, and I'm now able to manage all these tools like a sweet game.
Yet, I want to evolve and expend my knowledge to all types of instances, and have this same knowledge and flexibility with Server and DC versions.
I jumped into this career out of the blue without any previous IT knowledge or education.

In your opinion, what are the steps to take, the tools and languages to learn to embark on such learning path ? 

2 comments

Comment

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2022

As a Cloud Jira administrator with no IT knowledge, you may find it challenging to work with data center products of Atlassian, such as Jira Data Center, Confluence Data Center, and Bitbucket Data Center. These products are designed for use in on-premises or self-hosted environments and require a higher level of technical expertise to set up and maintain.

To get started with data center products, you may need to learn about concepts such as infrastructure, deployment, scalability, and high availability. You may also need to become familiar with tools and technologies such as load balancers, databases, and networking.

To help you learn about data center products and gain the necessary technical skills, there are several resources you can use:

1. Atlassian documentation: Atlassian provides extensive documentation for their data center products, including installation guides, administrator guides, and troubleshooting guides. You can start by reading through these documents to get an overview of the products and how they work.
  2. Online courses and tutorials: There are many online courses and tutorials available that can help you learn about data center products and the technologies they use. Some popular resources include Udemy, Coursera, and LinkedIn Learning.
  3. Professional training: Atlassian also offers professional training courses for their data center products. These courses are led by experienced instructors and can provide you with in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience.
  4. Community forums: Atlassian has a strong community of users and experts who can provide support and guidance. You can ask questions and get help on community forums such as the Atlassian Community and Stack Exchange.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Like Houssein Barkallah likes this
Adila Linke July 11, 2023

If you don’t try you will never understood what came next! 

Joseph Crutchfield
Banned
August 19, 2023

There are few basic and simple steps that you should consider to  embark on such learning path:

1. Learn IT Basics: Begin by exploring basic IT concepts related to networks, computers, and security. Consider beginner courses to help you grasp these concepts.
  2. Understand Versions: Differentiate between Cloud, Server, and Data Center versions of your tools by referring to their official documentation.
  3. Use Training Resources: Take advantage of the training materials provided by Atlassian on their official website. These resources can help you become familiar with Server and Data Center instances.
  4. Practice Setup: Set up test environments using step-by-step guides available on various websites. This hands-on experience will assist you in installing and configuring the different versions.
  5. Scripting Basics: Explore tutorials on websites that explain simple scripting languages (such as Bash or PowerShell) to understand basic automation concepts.
  6. Version Control: Learn about Git and its role in managing code by referring to articles and resources available online.
  7. Security Awareness: Research and understand how to secure on-premises instances and networks. Look for online resources that cover cybersecurity fundamentals.
  8. Problem Solving: Enhance your troubleshooting skills by seeking solutions and tips from online sources when you encounter challenges.
  9. Stay Updated: Regularly visit official websites and online sources to stay informed about the latest updates and features for the tools you're using.
  10. Join Communities: Engage with online forums and communities to connect with experienced professionals, ask questions, and learn from their experiences.
  11. Consider Certifications: Explore website to find information about relevant certifications that can validate your growing skills in managing different tool versions.
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events