I cannot change one team’s sprint name without affecting the other.

Manik Katyal September 16, 2019

The issue : . I cannot change one team’s sprint name without affecting the other.

Cause:- This is happening because both team’s scrum board share the same sprint(sprint = 173XXX).  Although sprints are global and can appear on any scrum board based on filter, But specifically this scenario happened because of one of the reasons:-

1. When Avengers started the sprint it automatically started the sprint for Outer Limits because Avengers had one task tagged with two IT team names ("IT Team" = "Avengers"," Outer Limits").

Resolution: I will not delete my current sprint  because it might delete their ( CM-Avenges) sprint as well. Instead for future I will recommend that not to tag tasks/user story’s with two “IT Team” names but we should use “labels” so that each team board has their own unique sprint and not a shared one.

Have you faced similar scenario? if so please share another cause and resolution.

2 comments

Manik Katyal September 16, 2019

I drew my conclusion from the post below:-

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-questions/Sprint-names-changing-in-one-project-to-mirror-another-project/qaq-p/2806

But I would like to know the real cause behind the issue because the above scenarios triggered due to one task tagged with two different team names under the same project.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2020

Hi,

The premise here is that you have two different sprints and that changing the name of one of them is somehow changing the name of the other.  That premise is actually incorrect.  This is technically the same sprint that is appearing in more than one board.

Sprints in Jira Software/Agile are not limited to only appearing in a single project or a single board.  They are designed to potentially be visible across projects in Jira.  But this is a very common point that confuses many users.  Many times users only see a specific sprint on a single board.  That tends to be because by default board filters default to a format such as

project=ABC ORDER BY Rank Asc

or some such.  It is this board filter that limits what issues appear on the board.  

In turn, a sprint will only appear on the board it was created on OR if it contains at least one issue that would appear on another board, then the sprint can also appear on that board.

We also document this behavior and ways to adjust where you see such sprints in the KB Sprints appearing on multiple boards in Jira server.

I hope this helps to clarify a bit more.

Andy

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events