How to send emails from "test management for jira" add-on

Pravin June 20, 2018

Product details:

• Jira v7.7.1
  • Test Management for Jira (Adaptavist) v4.6.2

Requirement:

Within the add-on "Test Management for Jira (Adaptavist) v4.6.2" I have two custom fields "Status" and "User". These are not Jira fields but custom add-on fields. I want to set the value of "User" to be the Jira Logged in user, and who s setting the status to "Approved". 

For e.g. 

If user abc is logged into Jira and he sets the status=approved, then values for user should automatically be set to user=abc. But if the  he sets the status=pending, nothing should change in "user" field.

How to do this?

I am not a programmer, but ready to learn whatever the solution asks for.

1 answer

0 votes
ASweeten
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2018

Hi Pravin,

Thanks for reaching out with this inquiry about automatically updating a custom user-picker field when another custom field's value is changed.  You can pretty quickly accomplish this using the Automation for JIRA Plugin.  Unfortunately, the Lite version (which is free), doesn't have all of the necessary functionality to get this working.  You will need the full Pro version, and I've tested the below locally.  

You'll need to setup 

1. 'Field value changed' trigger - points at your Status custom field
  2. 'JQL condition' - like 'project = $YOUR_PROJECT AND $STATUS_FIELD = 'Approved'' (replace $variables with your project and status field names)
  3. 'Edit issue action' - set the User custom field to '{{initiator.displayName}}'
  4. Save your rule and enable it

Now anytime a user switches the Status custom field of an issue to 'Approved' the User custom field will be populated with the username of the initiating user.  This plugin should work with almost all custom and system fields in JIRA.  

Hope this helps!

Cheers
~Andrew Sweeten
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer