How to retain user data after deleting an user in JIRA 7.12

Kotresha B November 13, 2020

Few of the users are inactive but few issues are assigned those inactive users in JIRA server 7.12

So while taking back up if I ignore inactive users then I may loose the issues/data related to them?

So is there anyway to identify if any inactive user linked to any issues ?

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

To answer the question in the title:  You don't.  Delete means delete, you are destroying the user data when you delete.

That's why we have inactive users - inactivating someone does not affect the data in any way - they remain the named reporter/team member/person who commented or made changes/custom field value/project lead/assignee etc.  You can still report on them.  The main things "inactivate" does is make them hidden from new selections and drop them out of the licence pool so they don't cost you money any more.

On the down side, I do not think there is any way to do "find issues naming inactive users"

Kotresha B November 13, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  Yes because we have to migrate from one server instance to another so few users data we need but they are inactive. while we migrate we will ignore inactive users so we will loose there data!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2020

No, you won't lose anything unless you chose to. 

Inactive users remain in the data and hence valid for the fields that refer to them.  Your migration can take everything across if you want it to - I would not recommend ignoring inactive users.

Kotresha B November 17, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  Is it possible to take JIRA server 7.12 data as SQL back up and store? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Yes, and SQL  backups are the recommended route for all but the smallest of Jira systems.  Faster, and more reliable than the xml  backup.

You will still want to take a copy of the attachments directory too - the minimal viable backup of Jira is database + attachments.

Kotresha B November 17, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  Thank you so do you have any link with procedure mentioned how to take SQL back up for JIRA 7.12?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2020

I would look at the standard documentation for the database you are using.  The recommendation from Atlassian (and myself) is to use whatever the database vendor recommends for taking complete byte-for-byte backups of the database (my usual approach is a short shell script that makes use of pg_dump for postgres for example)

Kotresha B November 21, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

So now we are selling one part of our organization so we going to handover our JIRA server instance 7.12 to them before handover we need to change to there new URL, so is it easy to do?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2020

Yes - make all the network changes so that your Jira server appears at the new url and change the base url in it to the new one.

Kotresha B November 30, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Is there any way to get active/inactive users list who worked on any projects in JIRA server 7.12?

Kotresha B December 2, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thank you finally I listed some users to retain.

So now i need to delete some of the users in JIRA server 7.12, so is there anyway to select all and delete?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Not that I know of.  Jira needs to run the "have they got auditable data" check for each one individually.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Then how to delete users and projects?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Go to user management, or the project header, and click "delete"

JIRA.PNG@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I dont find the delete the option in user management!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Note the bit that says "active directory server"

If you want to delete the user, you will need to delete them from the Active Directory, or change their account in a way that means the Jira Active Directory filter stops including them in the list of users.

Kotresha B December 12, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Is there any way to export few of the projects (only selected not all ) in JIRA cloud standard platform? OR any add -on?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2020

No, there's nothing that does a partial export.  There are some reporting apps which can dump issues and reports out into a non-Jira format, but they will not export everything.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events