How to create regex summary limit characters.

Bartosz Boratyński August 1, 2019

Hello again .

I want to create characters limiter on summary field in VIEW,EDIT,CREATE screens .

I have validator from jsu who can add regex on customField but that dont work , couse summary field is system Field .

my example :

User open Create screen > input summary field text = 1234 > char limit is 3 .

I need to create 2 features like :
a) dialog screen with information
b) when user do more than 3 char in summary he cannot create the issue .

2 comments

Lachlan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2019

Hi Bartosz

You might be interested to know that the plugin ProForma is able to achieve this. Our question fields support maximum char limits. 

We also recently implemented Regex pattern matching for our Question fields. This allows for extremely powerful validation options.

You can read more on our blog

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2019

Hi Bartosz,

I think I can offer you a pretty simple solution and I'm sorry to hear that you don't seem to be able to fix this with JSU.

Looking at our app Jira Workflow Toolbox you could use the available Boolean validator with math, date-time or text-string terms in the Create transition with the following expression:

length(%{00000}) < 4
  • length() is one of the numerous functions available in JWT's expression parser simply counting the characters of a string and returning a number
  • %{00000} is the reference of the string value of the Summary field

Additionally, you can set various options on when to skip the validation (transition is triggered by another post function or bulk operation) and compose an error message to show to the user according to your needs.

In the system it will look like this:

bool.png

I hope this is a possible solution to your problem. If you have further questions just let me know.

Best, Max

Bartosz Boratyński August 29, 2019

Thanks Max , it works .

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2019

Happy to hear that Bartosz!

Let me add something as we only spoke about the initial creation of the issue. This won't fix the editing of the summary inline or editing screen. There are possibilities using the Behaviours module of ScriptRunner. So you could validate the data entered but this also comes with limitations. It doesn't work when issues are bulk-edited and you would lose the inline editing feature because the screen for editing would be brought up instead for Behaviours to function properly.
Another approach would be to use separate screens for viewing and editing the issue and remove the summary field from screen associated with the edit operation. Inline Editing would not be possible this way. You should then think about adding (and restricting maybe) a global transition and putting the summary on that screen.

So maybe start with the validation when creating the issues and see if you have to add something on top of that later.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events