How to change project owner in new JIRA?

Jean LAMY January 18, 2018

As an administrator I can't find a way to change project owner for a project created by one of my users.

I can only add or remove users.

As said, I'm using JIRA cloud with new design.

48 comments

Comment

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

Hi Jean,

do you mean the Project lead?  If so, do the following:

• open the project
  • click on "Settings":

image.png
  • then "Details" (if it is not open already):

image.png
  • There you find the field "Project lead", which you can set to a new user
Like Clara Brighton likes this
Joseph Niemiec February 14, 2018

Hi Thomas,

I can't seem to find that in the current version. Right now I have complete admin access to our OnDemand cloud jira but there is no project lead option exposed to even be changed. 

Any ideas? I am fine making an API call if there is a way to say CURL some post data.

Like Vitalii Sobchuk likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

@Joseph Niemiec - it is there - here is a screenshot of a detail view, copied just now:

image.png

Joseph Niemiec February 14, 2018

Hi @Thomas Schlegel  is this perhaps a theme issue? I have included what I see and the roles that I also have. 

Screenshot from 2018-02-14 11-06-22.pngScreenshot from 2018-02-14 11-07-33.png

Joseph Niemiec February 19, 2018

It appears this problem is specific to the 'agility template' if I used anything else these options exist for me. 

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2018

Hi everyone,

Currently it's not possible to change the project lead for projects created with the Agility template (it's not related to the old vs new UI change).

We would love to hear what you use the Project Lead feature for so we can understand how we can incorporate it into the Agility project template in an improved way.

Cheers,

Dave Meyer

Jira Cloud Product Management

Joseph Niemiec February 19, 2018

We would use this field for team lead so that people who are not currently working on that project understand who the main point of contact is. This assists with targeting general questions and for new hires to easily onboard and understand the differing project leaders he may need to communicate with. Otherwise we end up having to do this in confluence and its disconnected from Jira itself persay. 

PS - Epics don't work with Agility either which appears to break Jira Portfolio's usefulness.  

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2018

Hi @Joseph Niemiec, thanks for replying! Where do your users normally find this? On the project list page?

Joseph Niemiec February 20, 2018

That is correct, from our corporate confluence homepage we have a nice HUGE Jira logo (1 of 6 important links) that links directly to the Project Page skipping the dashboards and going right to the overview. 

Of course I am open to other ideas/recommendations to do with this. We are looking at Team Calendar but also concerned if its features will be as useful with the 'Agility' template. 

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2018

Hi Joseph, totally understand. I'll take your feedback to the team to inform how we prioritize adding this back to the Project Details page.

In the meantime, it's still possible to update the project lead via the Jira REST API. You can do this by running something like:

curl -X PUT \
https://EXAMPLE.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/project/PROJECT_KEY \
-H 'Authorization: Basic APITOKEN' \
-H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' \
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
-d '{"lead" : "USERNAME"}'

where EXAMPLE is your Jira Cloud instance, PROJECT_KEY is the key of the project you want to change, APITOKEN is a token you generate from here, and USERNAME is the username of the user you want to set the lead to.

Joseph Niemiec February 20, 2018

@Dave Meyer you rock Thank you for sharing the details on the curl command. Can't wait to sit down and give it a whirl tomorrow. 

Craig Anderson April 18, 2018

Please add a feature to change this.    Currently we have projects owned by someone who is no longer at the company.   This is not a good situation.

Like # people like this
Alex Shipp May 3, 2018

+1 I am in the same situation

Like Glenn Grant likes this
Parham Momtahan June 12, 2018

I am in the same situation

Like Glenn Grant likes this
Peter Whelan June 23, 2018

Is there a separate field for "Product owner"?

The "Product owner" is a typically a different person than the "Project lead"

I rarely want to automatically assign issues to the "product owner".  I like that the issue can automatically be assigned to the "project lead" . I do not want to treat that field as the "product owner"

It's annoying that the "Project lead" field in Jira project details shows up as "Owner" in project listing.  Consistently labelling fields using the common scrum related terminology would make things clearer.

jillian
Atlassian Team
June 24, 2018

Hi @Peter Whelan

Thanks so much for the feedback on labelling terminology!  We'll introduce custom roles in the future so that you can create roles (and consistently label them) in a way that makes sense for your team. 

Cheers,

Jillian Stein

Jira Cloud Product Management

wjgilmore July 11, 2018

+1. We have several projects owned by users who are no longer with the company. This doesn't make any sense.

Like # people like this
Ankit Goyal November 7, 2018

@Dave Meyer Thank you Dave for your solution. Unfortunatley, I do not know where to put this code. I am not a developer myself but a JIRA Admin and have been using Jira Cloud. I need this functionality very urgently to change the project creators. I would create all projects for the project leads. The project leads can then go in and add epics, task, teams for their project. 

Like Susan Escalona likes this
brett anderson November 21, 2018

The provided code doesn't seem to work anymore. I just tried:

curl -D- -u EMAIL:API_TOKEN -X PUT \
https://EXAMPLE.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/project/PROJECT_KEY \
-H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' \
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
-d '{"lead" : "NEW_LEAD_USERNAME"}'

Now I'm getting a 200 response code instead of 401 unauthorized, but it just seems to return the project details, not update the lead. 

Sascha Portisch December 18, 2018

i would also vote +1 for the possibility to change the "project owner", as in my company they change from time to time on the projects. And in the Projectoverview filtered by lead you get the wrong Persons shown.

Like Will Peavy likes this
UNICOPE January 8, 2019

Please change that asap, we have a project leader that left the company and I cannot deactivate the user due to that. So its blocking the license!!!

Like Katherine Maddox likes this
A L January 21, 2019

We created a next-gen Jira Project by importing from Trello, and the project lead is set to the name of the person who did the import. Please can we have the option to change the project lead!

Like Trusila Muroka likes this
A L January 21, 2019

Seriously, this issue was raised over a year ago!

Like Trusila Muroka likes this
khairulamri January 22, 2019

+1. I'm also in the same situation. I can only change the Project Lead but not the Owner.

Like Susan Escalona likes this
Steffen Lyng February 1, 2019

Please make it possible to replace Project Owner

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events