How to automatically update due date with automation?

Jimmy Trivedi July 30, 2022

If my issue crossed due date, then issue's Due date should updated automatically by upcoming date. Is that possible with automation?

Note: I'm using Jira service project.

1 comment

Comment

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2022

Yes I believe it can.

You could set up a Rule where the Trigger is Schedule, and give it a JQL to find issues where Due Date is in the past, and add an action to update the Due Date field.

Jimmy Trivedi September 3, 2022

I'm quite not sure how to make setup and which automation option I should select?

PFB:

Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 22.47.47.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2022

Here is a link to the documentation for Automation which explains the basic concepts and how to create automation rules, as well as more detailed documentation.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/

Trigger: Schedule
Requires you to also specify a JQL for the issues you want to operate on when the rule runs. You'll need a JQL for finding issues where the Due Date is in the past.

Next component: Action: Edit Issue
Update the Due Date field to the value you want.

Like Jimmy Trivedi likes this
Jimmy Trivedi September 8, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

I tried your suggestion with Automation and somewhat it is working also, but still I'm unable to get exact output.

What I want:

Two things I want to know:

1. Update Tomorrow's date as "Due date" when issue is Overdue at 12:00 AM daily
  2. Update Today's date as "Due date" when issue is Overdue at 12:00 AM daily

Inside Trigger: Schedule

JQL: status in ("In Review", "ON HOLD", Pending, Reopened, TODO, "Work in progress") AND due <= "0"

Next component: Action: Edit Issue

{{now.plusBusinessDays(1)}}

Please note: Here I want to remove business days and need expected output.

Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 12.12.14.pngScreenshot 2022-09-09 at 12.17.08.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

In this document

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-date-and-time/

take a look at this function

{{[date].plus[Unit]([number])}}

Like Jimmy Trivedi likes this
Jimmy Trivedi September 10, 2022

Working thanks, you can post an answer. I'll accept it.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2022

This response thread is my answer, starting with my first post.

Jimmy Trivedi September 10, 2022

@Trudy Claspill You've posted as comment, instead of answer. Please post a proper detailed answer, so that others can also get help.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2022

@Jimmy Trivedi 

This entire conversation contains the answer. The thread starts with my response "Yes I believe it can." You can accept at that top level and that indicates the conversation includes the answer. We don't typically pull one response within the conversation out and make a new answer thread out of it.

Jimmy Trivedi September 19, 2022

@Trudy Claspill You're not understanding my point. I already checked and there is no option to mark as accepted, because it's just a comment not answer.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

Ah, yes, sorry, now I see.

That is because you posted your question in the Discussion forum rather than the Questions forum. One can only Comment on Discussions. One cannot "Answer" a Discussion thread. And one can only Accept Answers on threads posted in the Questions forum.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.39.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.38.36 AM.png

If you want to repost in the Questions forum then I will post an Answer there.

Jimmy Trivedi October 28, 2022

Thanks, I asked one more question if possible please help. Also this time I selected "Question" instead of "Discussion". :P

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events