Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Resolution custom value affect Reports such as Created vs Resolved?

Deleted user July 7, 2020

In our Jira, we have the standard Resolved, Unresolved Resolution values as well as some custom values such as Duplicated, Done and Won't Do. I see Jira supports some reports based on the Resolution fields such as Created vs Resolved, Average Age Report etc etc. 

If I want to use Created vs Resolved Report and I set one of my tickets to a custom value say Resolution = Won't Do, how does this going to affect the report? 

1 comment

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2020

Created vs Resolved compares only issues where the resolution field has a value vs those where it is empty so no, custom resolutions won't affect this. But also... Resolution=Won't Do (wich I think is not custom but one of the default options)  implies the issue has been resolved, you have to take this into account when setting resolutions (in this example you didn't fix the issue, just resolved not to do anything. That's perfectly fine but created vs resolved can't differenciate between actual fixes so to speak and the rest of resolutions).

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user July 7, 2020

So can I conclude that Jira Reports are built upon 2 Resolution States - Unresolved (default one when you create a ticket) and everything else like Resolved, Done, Duplicate which is considered as "Resolved" in the reports? 

Like Iago Docando likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2020

Correct - the field is empty (unresolved) or has a value (resolved, whatever the display name of the option is.  Even if you use a name like "unresolved", it is resolved because it is not empty)

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2020

To use the vanilla reports and not losing the diferenciation between resolutions you could use a simple workaround and do something like differenciate by status name... create as many final statuses as resolutions you want to use but only set the actual resolutions for those statuses you want to count as "resolved".

Of course you could create more elaborated reports but  to do so within jira itself I'm afraid you'll need to use some of the pluggins/apps available in the marketplace.

You could also create "external" reports by exporting your data to other tools (as simple as copy/paste in a calc sheet, as elaborated as connecting a BI tool to your jira instance).

Just some ideas. Hope it helps

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events