How do non-developers user the sub-filter on KanBan Boards?

NancyB455 May 8, 2019

I'm fuzzy on Kanban board configuration.

I feel like I don't understand why there is a filter AND a sub-filter for the KanBan boards.  We aren't developers so we don't have versions - maybe that is the difference?  I see online examples where people put "project = xxx" in the filter and something like "Status != withdrawn" in the subfilter...but why wouldn't I just create one filter that said, "project = xxx AND status != withdrawn"?

Also, I see people saying to put in the filter (or subfilter) a query to remove completed issues after a certain amount of time...but why wouldn't they use the "hide completed issues older than" field that I see at the bottom of Kanban board configuration, general?  

I guess I'm looking for best practices.

3 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

The filter for the board tells the board what issues to work with.

The sub-filter tells the board what issues within that main filter are to be considered as "done" and hence dropped from the board.

The thinking behind Kanban here is that you want to see your "done" issues in the last column for a while, until you chose to bundle them into a "release" which tags them all and then the default sub-filter drops them. 

Generally, the theory of "stuff in the done column for a while" is a good practice.  You don't want to have a board with an infinitely growing "done" column, but equally, you probably want to be able to see that you've actually completed something recently!  Your board shows what you're doing and what you've done recently, but how you define "done and when to drop it from the board" is really down to your process.  A lot of us use sub-filters like "status = x and issue was changed to status x in the last two weeks"

The "hide completed issues older than" function is quite recent, it's to help those of us who don't want "stick a version on it and release" to be the only "make things vanish" filter.

Like # people like this
NancyB455 May 9, 2019

Ah!  I didn't realize the sub-filter was for "done."  If you don't have a sub-filter, does it just assumed the usual "status = closed" or something?

Thanks for the response.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

No, if you leave the sub-filter empty, Jira can't guess what you might want, so it'll hide everything.

Trent Minx July 11, 2019

Question: Since the sub-filter is supposed to drop whatever you specify from the Done column why is project = "f" AND resolution = "NOT REQUIRED" then adding issues from that project with that resolution to the Done column?

Ultimately, one of our teams wants to "clear one project's tickets off of the 'Done' column on the stand-up board if they have a certain resolution". I assumed the sub-filter would service that request, but it seems to be doing the opposite. I've also tried project = "f" AND resolution != "NOT REQUIRED" and got a bunch of different issues I don't want. I'm sure I'm missing something but not sure what that is. 

The whole sub-filter being used is fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY OR project = "f" AND resolution = "NOT REQUIRED"

If helpful, the board's main filter is project in (a,b,c,d,) OR project in (e,f,g) AND labels = X.

We're on older version of Jira (7.6.10, soon to be remedied) so don't have newer options available.

bernhard bockelbrink December 18, 2019

"No, if you leave the sub-filter empty, Jira can't guess what you might want, so it'll hide everything."

The sub filter does not just apply to Done tickets, that's just the most common use.

The sub-filter filters the result of the filter, so if the sub-filter is empty, Jira will show everything the board's filter selected.

Like Walter Lamm likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 8, 2019

As Delivery Lead, the board I spend the most time on has the work of multiple projects and teams. We have a quick filter for every individual (as most people are only interested in their work), quick filters for every team, and more for statuses (waiting, unresolved), initiatives, and projects. Then we have a couple more filters for 'housekeeping' (with or without version, customer-facing tickets).

This may give you ideas how your organisation may want to be able to look at a sub-set of tickets on your board.

Like # people like this
Anthony Rose March 3, 2020

The filter tells the board what is in scope for this team, including recently completed items.
The subfilter can be used to hide the recently completed cards from the view, without excluding them from the scope of the team.
The usefulness of this only really comes into play for reporting, where the report will want to look at recently completed items as well as current.

Like Arten likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events