Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are people organizing products within a single project

Doreen Miller December 3, 2018

I assume there are people out there that have multiple products tracked under a single Jira Software project.  I'd like to hear how people are organizing their issues.

I am working on a configuration for a group and I get the feeling that I'm not organizing this quite right.  I'd like to hear how others are handling this.

We have many products.  By product I mean an entity that is released.  For example, one product might be a control panel and other product might be the configuration tool for configuring the control panel.  The software for the control panel is released as a single entity.  The configuration tool is released with a single installation file.

It seemed that Jira Component/s would be perfect for "a releasable entity".  This project could use Component/s of "panel" and "config tool".  However, the developers want to have modules that are based on the component.  For example, "panel" might want modules of "I/O controller", "Event Processor", "UI" while "config tool" might want modules of "UI", "DB", "Downloader".  The actual list of Component/s and Modules is quite long.  We can use a custom field of Module that is a select list.  However, I don't know of a good way to prevent a user from selecting a module that does not make sense for the Component/s selected in the issue.

I'd like to hear how others might be handling a similar situation.

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events