Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting Jira Home on NFS

Cameron Jeffries January 22, 2019

Howdy,

Our organization uses NFS mounts for both the SHARED home and the individual NODE home for Jira data center.  There is some discussion about whether it is supported or in general a good idea.  I'm hoping someone from Atlassian can settle this argument for us. 

Thanks!

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2019

I'm not sure where you might think there has been any "discussion".

Atlassian do not support it, and it has always been a really bad idea.  The Lucene indexing fails when it is on NFS. 

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/health-check-lucene-index-files-location-873918046.html

And move yours to a supported file system as soon as possible before it fails and takes out your Jira.

Like Cameron Jeffries likes this
Richard Cross April 2, 2019

The top-level JIRA_HOME directory must be local, but you can relocate some of the directories to alternate locations (like NFS) with a symlink, as Atlassian advise this for relocating attachments.

I would think "caches" and "tmp" are definitely off-limits.  Are the other directories fair game?

EDIT:  Played around with this a bit and would add "plugins" to the list of subdirectories you definitely shouldn't move off the local disk.

Cameron Jeffries April 2, 2019

The discussion I was hoping there would have been was in the forums, where you graciously provided some!  Thanks!

I was mostly just trying to cement what I considered to be a generally "bad idea" as an "unsupported configuration" or even a "don't do that, it's an awful idea".  We were able to convince the architect to make the change to using block devices and everything started working swimmingly.  I also wanted to put this in the forums so that anyone else in my position could have a document to look at and say "see, using the local home on a network drive is a bad idea".  For those of you doing that.  It's a REALLY bad idea.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events