Give us feedback on a new Jira concept—Starred Fields ⭐️

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2020

TL;DR. Try out the ⭐️Starred Fields experimental Chrome extension today and tell us what you think. Get the extension.

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, I am a product manager on the Jira Cloud team. Between the thousands of feedback submissions we receive each week and recent conversations with users, the layout of fields continues to be a major pain point for users in the new issue view.

Today we are releasing an experimental prototype in the form of a Chrome extension which makes working with fields a little bit easier in Jira's new issue view. The concept is simple, "star" the context fields that you use most frequently so that they always appear at the top of the new issue viewIt works in Jira Software Cloud, Jira Service Desk Cloud, and Jira Core Cloud projects in the new issue view, but not in the old view. Get the extension.

starring-sprint.gif

How to install the extension?

1. Get the extension by answering a completely optional survey
  2. Add Jira Starred Fields to Google Chrome
  3. Ensure you have the new issue view toggled on: Your profile and settings > Jira: Personal Settings > Jira Labs
  4. Refresh any Jira issue to see the "star" option

We need your feedback

We really want to hear what you think of this prototype. You can submit feedback here. Alternatively, let's have a conversation in the comments below.

Removing the Chrome extension

You may remove the Jira Starred Fields Chrome extension at any time by navigating Chrome menu > More tools > Extensions > Remove

Disclaimer: The chrome extension is a prototype

Jira Cloud Starred Fields is a prototype in the form of an optional chrome extension. It enables you to star your most important fields so they appear at the top of your issue view. You can unstar a starred field at any time. Starring and unstarring a field only changes your field layout; it doesn’t impact the rest of your team.

We built this extension fast knowing that it wold be used only as a prototype. It’s not intended to work perfectly, but rather, to be an experiment with letting you personalize your own view. Try out the extension and give us feedback—this will inform future decisions around letting you customize your own field layout.

5 comments

Comment

Keith Sims May 18, 2020

Unfortunately, the extension does not add any value in my case. Currently, it seems you are only able to star a subset of configured fields.

Like Brendon Sandrey likes this
Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

Thanks for your feedback @Keith Sims. Our prototype implementation is currently limited by what is possible with a Chrome extension. Anything below the "Show more" dropdown will not be able to be starred, however most other fields should be able to be starred.

Are you able to give some more information about the fields that you are trying to star but are unable to? Are they below the "Show more" dropdown?

Keith Sims May 19, 2020

@Matthew Canham thanks for the reply! I reviewed the thread from Brendon's comment for the work around.

Like Matthew Canham likes this
Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2020

Hey @Keith Sims I wanted to follow up here and let you know that we just released Pinned Fields. Pinned Fields allows you to pin just about every field type, even if they are below the "Show more" dropdown.

Brendon Sandrey May 18, 2020

I was very excited about the click savings this would give, but it doesn't appear to work for all fields. All custom fields are not able to be starred.

While a good start, there is more work required to make this really useful.

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

Thanks @Brendon Sandrey . I'll repeat what I said above for Keith to keep this thread seperate. Thanks for trying out the Chrome extension!

Our prototype implementation is currently limited by what is possible with a Chrome extension. Anything below the "Show more" dropdown will not be able to be starred, however most other fields should be able to be starred.

Are you able to give some more information about the fields that you are trying to star but are unable to? Are they below the "Show more" dropdown?

Yes, the fields I would want to star are all below the Show more dropdown - they're fields that we've created for customised reporting (things like vendor name and affected system)

The common standard fields I use are all typically visible and I don't need to star them.

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

Got it, thank you for adding that context. For now the Chrome extension will not be able to help you. The only work around would be to have a project admin move the fields you want to star outside of the "hide when empty" category of your issue layout configuration. This would allow those fields to be starred.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.25.16 pm.png

Like Brendon Sandrey likes this

Thanks Matt, That's given me what I need and allowed me to star the fields I want. It'll annoy the rest of the team as they're now visible on all issue screens, but I'm going to be selfish and see if they complain ;-)

Like # people like this
Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

I'm glad you sorted it out. You are also welcome to share the extension with your team too. The more people who use it the more we are able to learn.

David Green May 18, 2020

It's a good start - understanding you're limited in using a browser extension, if this could be extended to custom fields and other browsers/devices in the final version, it looks like it will work well.

To go further, for users like me who use JIRA more to prioritise and allocate work, it would be useful to push the Description way down and see the Priority, Fix Version and other fields (some custom) along with the latest comments near the top.

Thanks for listening

Like Matthew Canham likes this
Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2020

Thank you @Brendon Sandrey and @David Green for your feedback on this. I wanted to follow up here and let you know that we just released Pinned Fields which is a more complete solution to the problem that you raised.

Matt

Like David Green likes this
Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2020

Thank you everyone for trying out the Starred Fields for Jira Chrome Extension. We would appreciate if you could take 3 minutes to provide us with some final feedback on your experience with Starred Fields in Jira: https://forms.gle/PHaJYNZWf6ghTSD4A 

Sebastian Goltz June 22, 2020

Im using the addon since the start now and really appreciate it. But now i cant download it anymore to show it to my workers

1. Is there any way to download?

2. When will this be released? 

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2020

Hi @Sebastian Goltz

Thanks for your question. We have now concluded the trial and as such the Google form has been taken down. You can download the extension directly from here.

⚠️ One thing to note is that we will likely be deprecating the Chrome Extension in the next few weeks so your co-workers may only have a week or so to try it before we turn it off. More updates to follow on this topic shortly.

Kind regards,

Matt

Like Keith Sims likes this
Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2020

Hi everyone,

We've now launched 📌 Pinned Fields to production. Thank you for all of your support over the past few months and for trying out the Chrome Extension. Listening to your feedback and observing analytics from the Chrome Extension guided us as we built Pinned Fields.

Please see the official announcement and make sure to give Pinned Fields a try!

Kind regards,

Matt

Like David Green likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events