Frustrated by Jira's FAILURES

Harrison Tyner April 25, 2019

Is anyone else out there blown away by how unimpressive Jira's classic and next gen offerings are? 

Neither option offers a complete set of what I view as fundamental PM tools for software development: a high level roadmap for product planning, basic issue schemes, and lets not forget, sub-tasks! I should not have to choose among these which I need most and sacrifice the other...

Jira is supposed to be the best in class PM tool and I tried it for the first time over the past three months. It seems like Atlassian over engineered the crap out of the Jira solution to the point that it struggles to offer the basics. 

Am I crazy, did I miss something, or did I expect too much? 

-A disappointed first time Jira user

1 comment

Comment

Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

While I admit, a roadmap would be nice (we use Portfolio which is a paid add-on), I feel Jira has what we need.  We mainly use the issue schemes it came with and the sub-tasks work like I would expect.  What do you mean when you say you have to choose what you need and sacrifice the rest?  

While I wish I didn't need add-ons, I realize that if Jira didn't have add-ons or tried to be 'one size fits all', I would probably end up with a lot of crap that other people wanted but that I could care less for and I would pay much more for it.  When I compare what I pay per user for Office 365 to what I pay for Jira even with all the add-ons, Jira is significantly less and yet it provides more value to my company as a whole.

I think of it as a smart phone--if my phone os had the functionality of all the apps most people wanted built into it, I would hate the thing.  I already hate that I can't remove Facebook from my phone.  Many of the add-ons we use in Jira are free and the ones we pay give good value for the most part.

It could be that there are specific issues that you are dealing with that we may be able to help with if you want to explain a few--we'd love to help.  Or, it could be that you want a platform that comes with exactly what you want, the way you want it.  If that's the case, I wish you luck finding one!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events