Fresh Jira Install fails with database config / bootstrap error [solved]

Sebastian Kouba May 2, 2018

I've just spent two days trying to figure out why a fresh Jira install wouldn't start. There was nothing relevant on google for the error message:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Not implemented for JIRA bootstrap time
	at com.atlassian.jira.security.login.BootstrapLoginManagerImpl.performElevatedSecurityCheck(BootstrapLoginManagerImpl.java:34) [classes/:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.security.login.JiraElevatedSecurityGuard.performElevatedSecurityCheck(JiraElevatedSecurityGuard.java:22) [classes/:?]
	at com.atlassian.seraph.filter.PasswordBasedLoginFilter.runAuthentication(PasswordBasedLoginFilter.java:117) [atlassian-seraph-3.0.3.jar:?]
	at com.atlassian.seraph.filter.PasswordBasedLoginFilter.login(PasswordBasedLoginFilter.java:78) [atlassian-seraph-3.0.3.jar:?]
	at com.atlassian.seraph.filter.BaseLoginFilter.doFilter(BaseLoginFilter.java:110) [atlassian-seraph-3.0.3.jar:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraLoginFilter.doFilter(JiraLoginFilter.java:77) [classes/:?]
	at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:32) [atlassian-core-5.0.8.jar:?]
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:192) [catalina.jar:8.5.6]
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165) [catalina.jar:8.5.6]

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/atlassian/jira/dbconfig.xml (No such file or directory)
3430 at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
3431 at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
3432 at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
3433 at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:72)
3434 at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.AbstractJiraHomeDatabaseConfigurationLoader.getReader(AbstractJiraHomeDatabaseConfigurationLoader.java:84)
3435 at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.AbstractJiraHomeDatabaseConfigurationLoader.loadDatabaseConfiguration(AbstractJiraHomeDatabaseConfiguratio nLoader.java:49)
3436 ... 73 more

The config doesn't exist because it's a new installation. I don't know what jira is doing here but it was nonsensical.

Solution

I don't even know why I tried it but when I opened the page using an incognito window the page loads and the error isn't thrown. I assume that there is something screwed up with how cookies are handled, which I have set for other domains. Absolutely infuriating.

I just wanted to post this in case somebody else runs into the same issue.

2 comments

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2018

Did you follow the DB configuration steps when installing Jira for the very first time ?

From the logs it shows that the dbconfig.xml is not found . I would recommend re-installing Jira again . Make sure you remove previous installation by removing the atlassian application & system folder ( /var/atlassian & /opt/atlassian) 

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/atlassian/jira/dbconfig.xml (No such file or directory)
Sebastian Kouba May 2, 2018

The config isn't there because it's a fresh installation. I was expecting to see the guided configuration in the browser.

I've edited the initial post to try and make clear that the solution was to use an incognito browser window to avoid cookie / cache issues which seem to have caused the problem.

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2018

Good to see you have a solution .

TheGoesen June 19, 2019

ran into the same issue, can confirm that incognity mode was required to set up a new instance

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events