Feature to update parent link massively through CSV

Francis Castro September 12, 2022

Hi - I had saw some post in the community with this need. I needed it myself and was not able to make it through CSV  (I think was the same for the others as I didn't found any solution on the responses they got).

Due the urgency I finished doing it partially manual (through many many bulks) which is not efficient at all.

Wondering if this is a feature that we can vote to have developed in JIRA or if I'm missing a best way to do it.

1 comment

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2022

Alternatively, you could download an export of all issues within the specified project into a single CSV file (see this article I wrote which shows you how to do so via API) and bulk update that field using the External system importer of Jira. This depends if you're taking the data from elsewhere into your instance.

Otherwise, you could also use the REST API of Jira to change the field value of a custom field.

Hi there - thanks for the answer. When you say bulk update thr- External system importer, it would be using CSV?

Because I tried that but some how the issue ID of the new parent is not found. I did not download the data thr- API but by Exporting> CSV(All fields).

Also, can you please clarify what you mean with changing the custom field. In my instance there is nothing such as a parent, the only field I got for parent when I download data of the children (sub-task) is Parent ID.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Hey if some of the ids are not found, do you have more than 1K issues within that project? If yes, then it's possible due to the exporter limit that those issues which have those ids were not in the exported file. The parent link is a different field and it would denote any hierarchy higher than an Epic if you have advanced roadmaps. So if you want to update the "parent link" field, that means you have issue types whose hierarchy is higher than an epic which requires advanced roadmaps.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events