Feature Request: Fix version as a driver for slack plugin channel notification

Mitch Kent February 18, 2019

As part of the slack integration we are able to choose from a number of drivers/filters as to when a slack notification is sent.

Screenshot 2019-02-18 at 12.45.25.png

One of the main reasons we want to notify a channel in slack is that a feature has been made available. Whilst many may consider a status of "Done" to be sufficient, a "Done" ticket in our workflow (and I believe, in jira workflows generally) is that a Done ticket is basically code (etc) complete, but isn't available to users until it has been deployed/released. i.e. for us that means it has a fix version that refers to a release that has, well, been released.

I would very much like, and hope others would also find useful, an addition to the slack filter options that allow us to promote a message to slack when ticket is "released", or at least has a fix version set, as this is the best indicator for us that a feature is available.

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2019

Hey @Mitch Kent ,

Earlier this year we released a feature in the Slack integration that lets you set JQL filters to be notified against. Consider this JQL filter:

fixVersion is not EMPTY

Triggering a message on an update action with this JQL filter should get you a notification more or less when you're looking for one.

image.png

If your existing filter is in basic mode, you'll need to click the Switch to JQL option on the right side to add in your own JQL filter:

image.png

Additionally there's a separate feature request in the backlog for notifications when a version is released but the JQL should help out at an individual issue level.

Cheers,
Daniel

Mitch Kent October 16, 2019

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for this workaround - I will give it a shot! And I have up-voted the API-12 ticket as well :)

Thanks and regards,

Mitch.

Bruno Mazzoco April 2, 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the tip.

But could you please tell me the version of Slack Integration you are referring to?

The one we've been using seems to not have the trigger actions you shown ("SEND A MESSAGE TO THE CHANNEL WHEN") although I can see the JQL advanced filter 

Mine seems to be simpler:

image.png

Thanks.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2020

Hey @Bruno Mazzoco ! Can you confirm if you're on Jira Cloud (URL looks something like <yoursite>.atlassian.net ) or Jira Server (might be something more like jira.<yourdomain>.com)?

If you're on Jira Cloud, could you let me know what your Cloud URL is? The configuration for Jira Cloud should look similar to the screenshot above, so if you are on Jira Cloud, I'd like to investigate your site as it should have updated the Slack connector itself. Thanks!

Bruno Mazzoco May 26, 2020

Hi @Daniel Eads , sorry about late reply.

We are using Jira Server(v8.5.4).

Is this available for use in Server too?

Best,

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
June 9, 2020

Thanks for confirming @Bruno Mazzoco . Depending on what you need to trigger on, you could use the "Issue transitioned to Status: All" option at the bottom in combination with the JQL filter to get notifications. The difference between here and Cloud is that the issue would also need to be moved between statuses before the notification is sent - just adding a fixVersion to the issue wouldn't be enough.

If that doesn't fit what you need, I'd actually suggest checking out the Automation for Jira plugin (or the free Lite variant) which does provide an issue updated trigger for Server. The setup to send a Slack message is a little more to set up than the regular Slack integration, but it might provide the trigger/filtering granularity you need for your use case. Check out the documentation for using Automation with Slack if you need a pointer setting it up. Cheers!

0 votes
Martha Hinrichs October 14, 2019

This would be extremely valuable for our team as well!

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2019

Hey Mitch,

That's a great use-case! As you've found, the existing integration doesn't have a way for you to do this, and unfortunately I can't think of an easy way to implement this with another solution. The closest thing I'm aware of is using a deployment succeeded notification with the Bitbucket Cloud for Slack app if you happen to be using Bitbucket for your deployments and releases. Even then, that doesn't necessarily help you track specific features that would be represented by Jira issues.

I've passed this request on to our product managers. Thanks for noting this use case!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Mitch Kent February 22, 2019

Hi Daniel, thanks but no we don't use bitbucket for our deployments. Thanks for passing on the request!

Mitch Kent October 15, 2019

Hi @Daniel Eads - has this made it into your backlog? :) 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer