Dummy Jira users for self hosted Server

Bluebird2121 February 18, 2018

I am going to buy Jira for self hosted server.

As I know license allows up to 10 users. 

I need to have 5-8 real user and a bunch of dummy users (up to 50).

It will be convenient for my bussiness process to use these dummy users in some custom field.

I am wondering is it possible to create dummy Jira user (without using additional license for each) on self hosted server?

Any help will be much appreciated.

P.S I've found some answers on this portal, but looks like they are not relevant anymore. 

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2018

Dummy users are not a useful thing to do in Jira. 

If you create dummy inactive users, you won't be able to select them in user fields, so that's a non-starter.  If you want to actually use them for anything significant, they have to be active users, and hence consume licences.

If you used a select list instead, Jira wouldn't care that they have user names, it wouldn't see them as users, so that is probably the best you can do.

We might be able to get you a better answer or suggestion if you could explain what these dummy users might be for?

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thank you for the quick answer.

Each of task will have external executor (person or company who will do work on it).

This executor does't need to know about Jira system. 

I need to be able to click on executor and see all information about him (like email, phone number and other custom stuff)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2018

Then they're not real users.  Your only option is a custom field (select list probably) with their names in it.

Even if they were users, Jira doesn't store things like email and phone, so you'll need some code to do that as well, and you might as well code for a select list if you don't want to grant them licences.

Understood.

Thank you a lot

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events