Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does sprint burndown chart update when I switch between 'to do' & 'In progress' statuses?

Siddhant Modi April 9, 2021

Hi.
Here's a simplified view of my team's issue workflow

Planned (Status type: 'To do') → Ready for sprint (Status type: 'To do') → In progress (Status type: 'In progress') → Testing (Status type: 'In progress') → Prod (Status type: 'Done')

Is anything reflected in sprint burndown chart if I:

1. Change the status of an issue from Planned (Status type: 'To do') to Ready for sprint (Status type: 'To do')
  2. Change the status of an issue from Ready for sprint (Status type: 'To do') to In progress (Status type: 'In progress') 

The main reason why I am asking this is that we are only marking items as Prod (Status type: 'Done') at the very end of the sprint, all in one go. 

Does this mean that the sprint burndown chart will have a large cliff at the end instead of gradual step-like progression as is ideal? If so, what can I do to make the sprint burndown chart useful for our team? 

Should we add another status with the type 'done' that comes before Prod?

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Burndown measures what you complete in the sprint, it does not care about any other point in the process.

If you're marking things done at the end of the sprint, rather than when they're actually done, your burndown is really going to look like a sharp cliff, because that's what you're telling Jira.

To make the burndown useful, look to your definition of done.  Is it done for your team when it gets to production?  Or should it be done when the work on the item is complete and just ready to go?

Yes, you could add another status, but to get a burndown, you would need it to be in the last column on the board (that's how you tell Jira something is done - it's in the last column)

Like Siddhant Modi likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2021

Hi @Siddhant Modi 

It appears that you posted this same question as both a discussion topic and a question, so I am posting the other link here to help the community align the ideas they give you:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Does-sprint-burndown-chart-update-when-I-switch-between-to-do/qaq-p/1659919

Best regards,

Bill

Siddhant Modi April 10, 2021

Thanks @Bill Sheboy

I am new to the community, so I wasn't sure which was the best place to post this

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Siddhant Modi April 10, 2021

Thanks for your response @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I am very new to product management (& to Jira), so I am not aware of how other software product teams go about structuring their boards.

Do they consider 'prod' as done? Or do they consider 'Ready for deployment' as done? If I could get some insight on that, it would be helpful.

This gave me some thoughts on approaches that we could go with:

1. Replace 'Prod' with 'Ready for deployment' on board
    1. Remove 'Prod' from board. But let it remain as a status because we will still want to know which items are in prod.
    2. Add another status called 'Ready for deployment' (Type: Done) and add it as the rightmost column to the board. 
    3. Add 'Deployment to Prod' as a recurring task to each sprint. It's a one time activity which takes 2-3 hours in each sprint.
  2. Disregard the sprint burn down chart altogether

What do you all think?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2021

No, most teams would not consider "production" as "done".  Done is defined by the team who need to do something about the issues, and you'll find a "done" means "does not need this team to do any more on it". 

Development teams for example, don't care about where a story is after they've coded for it, "ready for test", "planning to deploy", "in production" - developers simply don't care, they can't do anything with the story any more, their work is done on it.

Like Siddhant Modi likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events