Does send email creates any performance issue ?

Sri charan Thota December 15, 2020

Hi Team,
Good Morning,
I hope you are doing good and safe.

We would like to upgrade our Jira from 8.4.1 to 8.5.9. For this we need to send an intimation / notification to the key users in Jira like all the administrators to every project.
I saw the feature of 'send email' which is designed to send the notification about the events like maintenance and downtimes. Using this function I would like to send notification to the users under administrators of every project in Jira.
My query is
Does this action makes jira server / mail server slow down the performance?
Can we know the number of users that are getting notified before sending ?
Is there any Idea of knowing number of users under project administrator rule ?

Please clear my queries asap and let me know if you need any information from my end.

Thanks,
Sri Charan

2 comments

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2020

since jira sends mail all times, there should be no countable performance issue if you sent out a mail 1 times manually to your admins.

in user admin, you should be able to filter who is in your admin group and get the number

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2020

There should be absolutely no problem by using the function as you described and as Alexander said.

There is one troubleshooting document which refers to a possible performance degradation by sending mail - but only as long as debugging is enabled (from the logic: in that case log files must be written to disk):
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshoot-notifications-in-jira-203394737.html

In a different document which I cannot find right now it was mentioned that mail CAN have an effect on Jira overall performance - but this rather refers to cases when tons and tons (probably thousands in short intervals) of mails are to be delivered.
I believe that this is visible in monitoring if it comes to such a case - but that is pretty independent from your initial question.

To be on the safe side you could talk to your mail server administrator if he/she sees any problems with the amount of notifications coming.

Apart from that I also see no issues doing so.

Cheers,
Daniel

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events