Does moving from Apache to Nginx improve Jira performance?

Julia_Ballos_Shefi January 8, 2018

After doing some reading it seems like Nginx might perform better with static content and many concurrent users/requests. I believe Jira doesn't have many static content and we have ~200 users.

Does anyone have experience with replacing Apache+Jira with Nginx+Jira or with Nginx+Apache+Jira?

In case you do, why did you do it and was there any performance improvement? 

2 comments

Comment

Petr Vaníček April 18, 2018

I don't have any metrics, but yes there was significantly improved performance of proxy server.

Not so much on our servers, but on servers one of customer with active 500 users it has been improved by 30~40% of performance by my opinion.

Usually we are using generated config from Mozilla generator for modern browsers with newest compiled Nginx and dependency tools.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

I've seen this done on several servers, and the answer is a very clear "maybe".  In a couple of places, the metrics came out at "negligble change", one place took a performance hit of around 30% on page loads, and another one saw a 30% improvement.

I think it's important to look at why you're doing it, and most importantly, what your internal support teams support better.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events