Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else keep a list of bugs and features that they would like fixing or implementing?

Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

As a long term admin of the Atlassian suite since 2006, I have moved around and learned my trade across differernt products and platforms. At the moment I find myself doing a lot of Jira administration on Cloud.

However, as an administrator its very frustrating that there are a lot of really really old bugs that have not been fixed, a lot of inconstencies across admin sections, and easy low-hanging-fruit that could be fixed but instead fester and annoy Jira admins for years on end.

In our Confluence instance, I keep adding to a list of annoyances in the hope that one day I can talk to someone face to face at a Summit or pass it on to someone who will listen. A lot of them have issue links next to them and are very old. Most of them are simple GUI fixes that would make my life and the life of an admin much easier.

Anyone else as crazy as me and keep a list?

3 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Yep, I use "watcher = currentuser() and resolution is empty" on Jira.atlassian.com

If it's not logged there, there's no point in talking about it - Atlassian don't know about it or have said it is not going to change.

Like Steve Rhodes likes this
Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2021

Hi Nick, yes I do also keep track on Atlassian's Jira site, and I do link and watch or say "this affects my team" where they exist. I think its easy to keep a list open in a tab in Confluence that I can add to but it is my plan to go through the list and see which ones don't exist on the Atlassian tracker and create issues.

I recommend keeping the open list as you can quickly write one line on whats annoying you or which feature is missing or which features are inconsistent at the time. I kept saying to myself "I'll create an issue about that later" and forgot or never found the time.

I get the feeling that Jira admins are not the highest priority because most Jira users don't see the admin section.

Colum McAndrew August 26, 2021

Absolutely. I feel your frustration. There is a school of thought that if an issue has been in your backlog for a while without being looked at, it may as well not be there. It is a common practice in some circles to archive tickets over a period of time that haven't been looked at. The issue is, where there is useful info in these tickets.

We have issues in our backlog that we've been unable or unwilling to tackle. This could be because we need information from others outside our team, the issue is of a lower priority, or where we know the change is in an area we're looking to change in the future.

It is good practice to keep track of your backlog. There are various ways of doing this. One way is using labels to add metadata to track the different types of backlog issues. Whichever method you use, you should be able to identify which issues you've a chance of completing.

Paula Hidalgo August 27, 2021

@Steve Rhodes - I have a list of bug/features that can make the Jira Admin job easier.  I definitely 'watch' and add a count to 'this affects my team'.  In addition, I add a comment to some that appear to be idle explaining why it can save the Jira Admin time.  Here is an example of a comment I added -> https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76433.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events