Creating users in JIRA cloud has removed the ability to specify usernames..?

Brendan Andrews August 7, 2017

As of this morning there is no way for me to specify it? Formerly we always used a prefix to clearly distinguish the company external users were from which also made clear that they weren't internal company users.

Why would Atlassian removed that simple capability? At the very least show the username auto populated for editing.

2 comments

Comment

Lorenzo Bueno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2017

Hi Brendam,

The reason why site-admins are no longer able to name the users is because the login process of the user is now streamlined under one account, in other words, a single sign on. That way users will only maintain one account with Atlassian, and any application/instance they are registered on will be a reflection on this account. That means, now, all applications are synchronized with the Atlassian Account, the user will have only one password and email that he/she will use to access all Atlassian applications.

In the past, when the user that had access to multiple Atlassian applications (i.e Bitbucket, JIRA Cloud, etc.), they would have a different user account for each application / instance locally, making it tedious to remember passwords, usernames, update user information, etc. Due to this, site-admins are no longer able to manage the user details in User Management, as the user will use the same information to access other Atlassian applications that you may not be the owner/admin of. However, you can always edit the username of a user to your liking. If you would like to define the full name and username in user creation, you can use this link: <instancename>.atlassian.net/admin/users/add.

With all the above being said, the need to provide the user information during creation, other than the email address will not longer be necessary. This is why the *add user* form has now been made hidden, as the new user invitation mechanism makes the most sense for the current situation.

All users that have been created can navigate to https://id.atlassian.com to change their information. After changing it, I would suggest to ask the users to relogin to the instance to allow the change to be synchronized. You can only edit details for your users' accounts if they have managed accounts for a [domain that you've verified|https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/domain-verification-873871234.html].

If you need more details you can check our documentation: [Invite, edit and remove users|https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/invite-edit-and-remove-users-744721624.html]. We hope this helps. In case you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Lorenzo B. Medina
h5. Atlassian Support | Cloud

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

So can you be clear, this change was made with zero warning?

Brendan Andrews August 7, 2017

Thanks for pointing out that the original form is still available. Will that remain available or is it to be phased out? Are usernames to be gradually removed and email addresses used in their place?

I'll go back to the root requirement here, Lorenzo and that might help provide a solution.

It's to be able to distinguish between users within our company and those external to it.

Group assignments are how we enforce it but we need a way of absolutely being able to determine who should be in those groups to check the assignments.

Email addresses aren't sufficient because some external people have company email addresses.

Previously I had prefixed their usernames with the companyname. So 'companyname.firstname' for example.

The user management isn't particularly feature rich currently.

Lorenzo Bueno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2017

Steven, all the site admins and main contacts of the instances were previously warned about the upgrade to Atlassian Account.
You can always check our "What's new"documentation as well. https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/what-s-new-686863216.html
Brendan, as far as we know, there are no indicators that the feature will be phased out. We understand your position, as a site-admin,you can only edit details for your users' accounts if they have managed accounts for a domain that you've verified as it is explained here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/domain-verification-873871234.html.
:)

Stephanie Latterman August 17, 2017

@Lorenzo Bueno:The documentation referenced as the previous warning to us is "What's New" in CONFLUENCE. This affects JIRA, too. The JIRA "What's New" does not mention this change to User Management whatsoever: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new?tab=new-features-in-cloud. And I couldn't even find it in the Confluence section you directed us to. Additionally, I am a site admin, and I was not warned.

Thank you for at least telling us that the original Create User interface can still be accessed. But when repurposing an existing feature (Invite User) PLEASE update it so it actually makes sense for its new purpose. I completely agree with Brendan that it would be much better for us to be shown the full name and username auto populated for editing.

Anders Bergenholtz August 18, 2017

@Lorenzo Bueno, I am still a bit confused but did I get it right that we need to accept this limitation as long as we are running JSD in Atlassian cloud but when we move the JSD to our own servers we will be able to use our own user names as account names, where the user name is different than the email-address?

Currently we are using the cooperate signum as user names for all our users until now when this possibility seems to be blocked when creating new users, so this is bad news, but we are planning to migrate to our own servers in about a month time.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events