Configure Jira behind ELB

iplatitsa June 26, 2017

Hi, 

I am having hard times finiding correct configs for server.xml when I have Jira placed behind ELB. 

I have the following in my server.xml

<Connector acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" enableLookups="false" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" scheme="https" proxyName="jira-prod.*.com" proxyPort="443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" useBodyEncodingForURI="true"/>

ELB has a listener that listens to port 443.  

3 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

Jira is a standard web-application, you'll need to look up how to configure your ELB really, whichever one it is.

iplatitsa June 27, 2017

Not sure how this helps to be honest 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2017

It can't help. 

The server settings on the JIRA side are for the service and you've followed the instructions for a proxy.  You don't need to change them more to place JIRA behind an ELB - the rest of the config, which presumably doesn't work, is on that.

Although I would consider trying it without wildcards in the proxyName to start with.

iplatitsa June 27, 2017

There is no wildcard in the proxy name (I removed the domain name). The problem was related to the connector's configuration I posted originally (it had no port settings). 

This is the wokring connector setting.

<Connector
port="8080"
maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25"
connectionTimeout="20000"
enableLookups="false"
maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
protocol="HTTP/1.1"
useBodyEncodingForURI="true"
redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"
disableUploadTimeout="true"
scheme="https"
proxyName="jira-prod.mycompany.com"
proxyPort="443"/>

iplatitsa June 27, 2017

Found the problem. Connector settings had missing port which made ELB  proxying not wokring. 

Mona Sood October 10, 2018

what is that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2018

It's the port settings in the ELB config.  If you're not sure what this is, you need to do a bit more training or reading, as it's not something you should be messing with unless you know what it is.

Mona Sood October 11, 2018

I too have jira running behind elb.

At elb I have installed certificate and prt is 443 that listen to instance port 8080 .

I just added proxy port, proxyname, scheme n secure in server.xml under connector port 8080.

Which is working fine .I hope this is good enough to have a secured site.

But I wanted to try instance port 8443 as well but I am not able to get proper setting might be something I am missing in server side or security group .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2018

You don't need to think about port 8443, that's for the internals.

Mona Sood October 11, 2018

I know my work can be done by just adding certs at elb ,but I wanted to give different approach to build security to my management ...so finding other way as well.

If you have any link or doc or steps please do share with me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2018

I'm not sure what you are looking for here.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events