Columns configurator not showing all options

Tobias Albrecht June 14, 2018

When on "Search for Issues"  and e.g. you want to adapt the visible Columns it appears that if you have a lot of customfields which have e.g. included in the name "...status..." you will never again be able to include the Jira field "status" again. The list for serchead felds which includes "status" ends by saying e.g. "13 more options. Continue typing to refine further". But well the status for the non-customerfield status is not further refinable.

Seems like a Bug ?2018-06-14 11_53_35-[myfilter] Issue Navigator - JIRADC(EE Jira 7.3).png

1 comment

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2018

Hello Tobias,

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-explains it well in this post:

Status is a system "field".  People mistakenly think they need more than one, so they create fields like "test status", "qa status", "review status".  These are informationally poor because they're not truly status.

But the main problem is that you can't find them, and I'm afraid Atlassian's UI designers have made it worse recently.  Add 50 variations of status to Jira.  Go to the issue navigator and run any search.  Now say you want to see "qa status" in the results.  You click "add column" and type in "status".  Only the first 20 of your status are shown and there is absolutely no way to get to the other 30 (and the real status is often hidden in the 30)

This applies for any fields with similar names.  The correct fix for it is "reuse fields" (and, especially, stop misrepresenting status with fields that are not really status)

So I don't think it's a bug but rather due to best practices.

- Manon

Tobias Albrecht June 14, 2018

Thanks Manon,

well in big companys where different way of workings in different divisions are in use you may find all kinds of customerfield variations (i.e. a status may represent a certain wording/freetext/description which different teams/divisions are using differently. I totally agree that such fields may never be allowed to be created at least not as such that there are blanks before and/or after "status". But once the train started in a big company it's hard to rename all fields with e.g. "...._status_...." as filters aso need to be adapted as well ;-)

Nevertheless thanks for your quick reply

regards Tobias

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2018

I agree that's a tough job, it takes a lot of meetings and workshops to prevent this kind of custom fields :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events