Burndown chart on Subtask level

Dilip Abegune January 25, 2023

Every now and then, the question pops up, why does atlassian invites to use subtasks, but they dont show in the Burndown chart.

The answer is: no, that does not work. Some people help themselves with add ons and twisting and configuring them, that it somehow works out.
But until now, Atlassian did not provide a simple solution to that simple demand.

However, my personal solution is, that I reorganize my projects and boards in a way, that a story/task is the lowest level in my boards. As they are shown in all charts when closed, they need to be refined as much as possible, to have a chance to be set to done in one single sprint.

Enjoy!

2 comments

Comment

Meghan LaClair January 25, 2023

Hi @Dilip Abegune

Disclaimer: marketplace partner

Interesting workaround! We noticed the same challenges with subtasks and handle them cleanly in minware!

Burnup.png

In addition to accounting for subtasks in our burnup charts, you can dive into the subtask layer on our predictive roadmaps and value stream reports.

Dilip Abegune January 29, 2023

nice & thanx! I will check this out.

Meghan LaClair February 1, 2023

@Dilip Abegune Great, let me know how we can help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2023

It is important to understand what Atlassian is doing with Jira Software.  It supports Scrum and Kanban, of course. 

But the implementation of sub-tasks is a bit of a hangover from the original "scrum" process (and totally accurate for Kanban) whilst trying to not to annoy people doing Waterfall.

Sub-tasks are not sprint items, they are a fragment of a sprint item. So you should not "burn down" on them.  Burn down is for sprint items.

Dilip Abegune February 1, 2023

Thanx Nic.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events