Best custom field type for billing accounts?

Steinar Bang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Jira 7.4.2 Server, CentOS 7.2.1511

What's the best choice of custom field type for a billing account number with a description?

What we would like to display in the JIRA screens, are the account numbers with their descriptions.

What we would like to have in CSV/spreadsheet exports, are just the account numbers.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. appreciated!

Thanks!

- Steinar

1 comment

Tomáš Vlach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

Hello Steinar,

I don't think it's possible to work like that with only one field, maybe with some add-ons, but i would recommend you to just create two simple custom fields one for the Account number a than another Account description for the description. Then just uncheck the field with the description whenever you want export these issues.

You can uncheck these when you are in List View of your Issue Search (filter) there's "Columns" button, so just click there and you can choose which fields will export when you export Issues (Current fields)

Basically thats what I would do.

Steinar Bang
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2017

Thanks for your reply.

In between me asking the question and your reply, we decided to do things in a different way.

I can say what we ended up doing:

1. We have a custom field of type "Select List (Cascading)
    1. The first level is of the form "Project title 1234"
    2. The second level is of the form "Task title 1"
  2. Then we have a Java command line program that pulls down data from the JIRA REST API and outputs a CSV file for import into the finance system. The program:
    1. First does a JQL search to find all issues with worklogs in the relevant time period (the program takes two weeks as arguments)
    2. It then runs through the list of issues resulting from the search and fetches all worklogs from each issue, and then aggregates the hours on person, date, project (all hours for a particular day for a particular person on a particular project is added together)
    3. Finally it loops through the aggregated data sorted on person and date and outputs the CSV file for the finance program. The project numbers are found by splitting the field values of the custom fields on space, and picking the last part and parsing it as a number (so we live with having to split the text of the field value to get the number)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events