Atlassian Server Products being phased out

James Malgieri October 19, 2020

On Friday 10/162020, I received an email from Atlassian stating

"Here's what's changing on February 2, 2021 PT:
• End of new server license sales: You can no longer purchase or request a quote for a new server product.
• Updates to server prices: New prices for server renewals and upgrades will go into effect."

and 

"On February 2, 2024 PT, server support will end. This means support and bug fixes will no longer be available for your server products."

This is an unbelievably bad business decision.  You have just lost a lot of money.  

Any other opinions?

4 comments

turo October 19, 2020

The way this decision was made and communicated is incredibly customer-hostile.
Now that Atlassian has raised prices twice in a very short period of time and decided to offend its on prem customers, this company can no longer be a strategic partner.  "money for nothing"

Rob Sonke October 20, 2020

Same response here, Atlassian cloud products are just not a good alternative for us. We will start looking for other products to replace them.

Main reasons: way too expensive compared to server products, no custom domain names, limited access and plugin options.

James Malgieri October 20, 2020

This is not a gentle push to "the cloud".  It is an either/or option - either you go to the cloud or you don't use an Atlassian product - or you get $et back thou$and$ for the Data Center.

Unless I am reading it incorrectly, it does appear that Data Center will be able to use Server OR Cloud options.  However, I won't use an Atlassian Cloud product and definitely will not be u$ing a Data Center.  I had considered using "the cloud" for learning and experimenting, however the interfaces and functionality are already different from the server product, which is an added reason not to cave in to it.

Here’s a link that shows the Atlassian strategy in more detail.

https://www.atlassian.com/migration/key-offering-changes?tab=data-center-transition#important-dates

Kai Becker October 29, 2020

Our team was shocked by Atlassian's customer unfriendly decision. For us, moving our Jira database to the cloud is out of the question.
This is a question of cost on the one hand and a question of sovereignty over our own data and data protection on the other.
We have so much confidential information in the Jira database that we don't want to see on any server in Australia.
For us, Atlassian's decision to go for pure cloud services will mean that we will be looking for another product from another company.
I think all customers who want to continue to use self-hosted Jira servers should post a comment here in the forum so Atlassian can see what fatal mistake they have made.

Like James Malgieri likes this
James Malgieri October 29, 2020

I believe they said you could continue using the server is you went with a Jira, Confluence or Bitbucket Data Center.  But for us, that's insanity.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events