Admin Needs to be able to support email and password issues

Iain MacGranthin August 14, 2017

Scenario:

Corporate policy changes internal email id of all contractors to a qualifie one, eg

to: joebloggs@contractor.corporation.com

Without handover period, the original email is closed down and cant receive.

Unfortunately for Joe, he cannot remember his password.

Worried his project involvement is quite complex, and if he was created as a new user a lot of admin would be involved, he comes to jira admin for help.

1. Can jira admin reset his password, as any time he tries he wont get the reset password email?
  2. Can jira admin reset his email address, as this would let him just continue
  3. if all else fails, can jira admin migrate all his open and closed tickets over to a new account created with his new email address.

Admin thinks about it (sic), sees a storm coming, he isnt the only contractor.

Atlassian, we have a problem, and therefore you have a problem...

We dont have control over corporate email policy, and we can't anymore reset a users password, and when I try using api/2/user?username=joebloggs

{emailaddress:"joebloggs@contractor.corporation.com}

I get internal server error...

How do I handle both this individual situation, and the bigger mass migration to the new email address format?

I get 

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

You don't say what user directory you are using, or whether you are on cloud or server.

If it's the internal server directory, log in as an admin and you will be able to edit the user's detail, including manually setting a password. 

If it's Cloud, then you'll need to log into the user system as a site admin.

REST calls will work for updating the users in the server version.

If you have another directory system, then you'll need to do the work there.

Thanks - 

Its atlassian cloud.

I have logged into the instance as site admin.

I can only click 'reset password'.

I cannot actually reset the password to a value myself (up until recently I could).

REST has worked for post user, add user to group, get user, etc, so I guess I rushed on enthusiastically with PUT user and got internal sever error...

I dont know if this helps you suggest something, or just rounds off information to a 'cant go forward in this scenario'

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

Ok, Cloud accounts are Atlassian accounts, which cannot be updated over REST.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/user-management-rest-api-changes-in-jira-cloud-858756548.html

OK Thanks that makes it pretty clear, so given this was one attempt to get round  sticky situation, what other options do I have?

As a quick fix I have had to create a new account, and updated all issued status "not concluded (ie not closed, etc)" to be either reporter [new email] or assignee [new email] (or of course both)...

... Is this my only tool?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2017

I'm afraid it is your only option - each of your users has an Atlassian account, on which they will need to change their email address.  The accounts belong to them, not to your company.

Iain MacGranthin August 16, 2017

OK thanks - Is there likely to be a solution provided, or will this thread be the point of information for people looking for a rescue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2017

I honestly don't know if this is going to change.  The last time I spoke to an Atlassian technie about Atlassian accounts, there were no plans for an API for them, but that was a year ago.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events