Unlock the power of search with the new JQL editor

77 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

@andre_peixoto , Iโ€™m quite sure this is Cloud only.

Like โ€ข Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Billy.Kershaw August 18, 2021

This is a good enhancement and will make it easier for  less experienced colleagues to search Jira. 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2021

Yeah, think so too. That's a lot of helpful improvements!

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

What I need is a possibility to use nested JQL requests, e.g. linkedissues IN (project=DEV1). There are plugins that do this but this is so natural so why not do that in Jira itself?

Changes you showed above are just cosmetics, no real value.

Like โ€ข # people like this
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2021

Hi @Yerbol Nisanbayev will it be available for general searches? (Under filters / advanced search) and when?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

Hi  @Krzysztof Achinger   thank you for the feedback. We are currently not planning to extend the JQL grammar in the short term. 

@Holden Matan  @andre_peixoto  this update is for cloud only

@G subramanyam Thank you for this feedback. Atlassian University JQL course is still applicable with this new editor. We plan to update university materials at a later point, when we replace Advanced search JQL editor with this new one. 

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

Hey @Sergei Gridnevskii , thank you for the feedback, making JQL even more powerful is on our long term backlog.

Hi @Patricia Francezi , yes, we will replace the advanced search with this new editor. Currently we are targeting to do that towards the second half of 2022. For updates on that work, please watch this JAC ticket 

Thomas Steininger August 18, 2021

When will this new feature arrive in jira datacenter edition ?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
August 18, 2021

Hi @Thomas Steininger , I am afraid this feature was realeased for Jira Cloud only. 

Carsten Jeschner August 24, 2021

Thanks! Pretty cool Upgrade for JQL

Ivelina Marinova August 25, 2021

Great info, very useful.

Federico Cesari August 26, 2021

This is great, searching across projects was sorely needed

Nick August 26, 2021

To be clear, this doesn't change any of the capabilities of JQL, just the experience? For example, I'm looking forward to the day where I can do some more advance queries that I tend to look to script runner for.

Darren S. Eyers August 26, 2021

Great step forwards.  Looking forward to enriched JQL fuctions without the use of plugins e.g.

And of course more/better:

• more / reporting
  • dashboards for Orig / Vs Estimated
  • KPI's etc
Damon Gaylor August 26, 2021

Will you be adding this feature to the Advanced Search?  I don't see a way to change columns yet in this mode.  Maybe I haven't discovered it yet.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2021

@Damon Gaylor , there was a response to this very question on 8/18...

yes, we will replace the advanced search with this new editor. Currently we are targeting to do that towards the second half of 2022. For updates on that work, please watch this JAC ticket 

Like โ€ข Bill Sheboy likes this
Elizabeth Nixon August 26, 2021

Hi! Fabulous enhancements! Up until 2 years ago I worked across multiple projects, so I almost always use the advanced search. I'm a self-taught SQL and JQL user, but I can say that the immediate feedback on query errors is very helpful. It's much more actionable. Probably the best part for me is being able to expand the editor. Wow!

Also, I have now learned about using Shift + Enter in the editor to break down my queries line by line. That's a bonus for me catching up on my Jira articles :) 

Siobhan Flynn August 26, 2021

YESSS! Love using JQL for query building and making custom Dashboards. This was so needed. Can't wait to see it on the Advanced Issue Search as well. Thank you, Atlassian!

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2021

Looks great

Timothy Bassett August 26, 2021

Given that most people use the main search in the top right corner, wouldn't it have made more sense to put this feature into that search?

tony.nathan August 26, 2021

This is really good, why did you not add it to advanced search as that is where we save our queries>  It is the same search engine after all.

When can we expect it in advanced search?

Dipak Naokar August 26, 2021

@Yerbol Nisanbayev 

When can we see the implementation of the following request.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-25386

This request is open since 2011. 

I am managing 3 projects (and each has 3 releases in parallel) and there could be many users like me.

For us managing several filters without any grouping or a folder is very difficult.

Production Management August 26, 2021

@[deleted]you can have a simple workaround by adding group name to the filter name. Like this:

Product_XXX: Show unresolved issues

Then you can find your filter by typing Product_XXX in search box

Eilif Johannsen August 27, 2021

Great update of the JQL editor, just a shame that it haven't been introduced all over.

I'm looking forward to see this in "Advanced Issue Search"

@Yerbol Nisanbayev Will this update also be available in the Filter Query ?

Mark Kassar August 27, 2021

The replacement of the user names with the ID due to GDPR was always a pain to work with in JQL, especially when I revisit a query to modify it. I just tried outs (cloud based) and it is still showing ID's, I rant the query to see if it changes, still the same. Is this deployed on all cloud instances?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events