Keep your team in the loop with Team @mentions in Jira Software!

Hi everyone!

My name is Jenny, a Product Manager at Atlassian. After launching Team @mentions in Confluence, we heard a lot of positive feedback from customers that they love how easy it is to @mention their entire team. We also heard this functionality would be incredibly helpful in Jira Cloud. Today we’re excited to announce this feature is generally available to all Jira Cloud users! With Team @mentions, it’s easier and faster to mention groups of people and get everyone on the same page. Whether you want to call everyone’s attention to a specific comment or get your team to swarm on a problem, @ Team mentions can be a useful tool.

Getting started is easy!

If you already don’t have a Team created, go to the People tab, and click on “Start a team” on the top right. Give your Team a name and invite all of your team mates. We will automatically create a nifty profile just for your Team. Feel free to give it some personality by uploading a cover photo, adding a description, or pinning some important links.

Marketing screen - Create team.png

@mention your team on Jira and Confluence Cloud

Now that you have created your Team, you can go to any Jira project with the new issue view experience to mention your team, just like how you normally mention a team mate. The neat thing about Teams is that once you create it in Jira or Confluence, you can use the same Team across both products.

Marketing screen - Jira team mentions(1).png

Got feedback? Ideas?

We’re actively developing features around Teams, so please sign up via this form to sign up for a short session with us - we’d love to hear your thoughts! Alternatively, feel free to give us your feedback below.

38 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2020

Jenny this is amazing!  You have no idea how happy you have made all of our users and how much easier my job just got!  Thank you!

Drew Cottrell February 20, 2020

I'm admittedly ambivalent, it will help with some use cases but be another logical grouping of users to maintain, wish roles or groups could have been enhanced to solve the problem instead.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2020

@Drew Cottrell from what I have seen Teams are not created as an admin function and do not have any permission controls so users can freely create teams as needed and without you (the admin) needing to be involved.

Drew Cottrell February 20, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon precisely - nothing says groups/roles must always remain as they are, perhaps I'm dreaming too big and understand it was likely easier/cheaper to just add something new than change what already exists.

Patrice Champet February 24, 2020

Sounds amazing... We are struggling for such a feature for our teams.
Any plan for Server/DataCenter ?

Like # people like this
Benn Ingersoll February 27, 2020

Here to echo exactly what Patrice said.  This is exactly what teams have been asking for at our company.  What's the timeline for Server?  Any ticket I can "vote" for?

Like Jae Evans likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2020

Hi @jchu - thanks for the welcome news!

Quick followup question - are the groups independent or does the same group work in both applications?

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2020

Nice feature for both JIRA and Confluence Cloud. But is there an Admin control over this feature? Is it going to be available for JIRA/Confluence Server or DC?

Like Jae Evans likes this
Nathan Jenner March 5, 2020

This is awesome! My team will be using this all the time. Easy to manage the list of users too and no one will be accidentally forgotten and left out.

Christopher Gronde March 9, 2020

Any chance this functionality will end up in Jira Server or Confluence Server or do we have to have the cloud version to get this basic feature our organization has been basically begging us for but can't provide.

Like # people like this
Doug March 10, 2020

If you're having issues with this... I had a coworker who couldn't @Team and it was because they didn't have "Labs" enabled, I think?  Had them go into settings and enable labs and it worked!

nina_Huang March 15, 2020

Hi All

I use jira plugin for jira 5.52.1on JIRA 7.3.1,Now this plugin is on trial,I want to buy this plugin.

But the Configure button on Admin > Add ons > enhancer plugin for jira > custom fields> duration flieds> add new>configure context>edit time between configuration>select origin status and target status> save>500 err

can you help me to reslove this problem?

Timothy Bassett March 15, 2020

It only works in the bad/unfriendly/'never going to use' version of JIRA.  

Like Benn Ingersoll likes this
Yaniv Vararu March 23, 2020

The ability to mention a team is much needed, but I don't understand the "duplication" of the Groups that already exists.
Now what? You created groups but you can't mention them, and now you can't create the same teams in order to use the "mention" feature, since this is not an "admin" feature. I need to ask every team leader to create their own team, just in order to be able to mention them?
Someone here didn't think through the entire process....

Like Matthias Gruber likes this
Maru March 23, 2020

Hi @jchu 

At last! We've been waiting for this. Thank you! (Although, I must say, I agree with the commenter above regarding the duplication of groups.)

Is there a Japanese-language version of this page? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2020

Did anyone get this to work? I created a Team but can't tag them (they don't show up after the @).

@jchu 

Like # people like this
OTB S.p.A. April 9, 2020

Not working for us as well. Only admins can @mention teams

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2020

I'm an admin and can't get it to work at all. 

Like kdickason likes this
Doug April 9, 2020

@OTB S.p.A.  @John Funk  are you using the new view?  Go into your board settings (not your account settings):  

https://i.imgur.com/oxQ7NLg.png

and on the  page that opens up called "Personal settings" scroll to bottom and active Jira Labs:

https://i.imgur.com/7apgwlg.png

That's how we got it to work... 

Sidenote:  if you open tickets from notifications, it opens them in the "old view" and the team mentions won't work there... 

@jchu can you fix this?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2020

Yes, I am using the new view. I created a team, but when I do the @ I don't see the team come up when I start typing the name. I see users, but no team. 

Like Charan goud likes this
Camilo Damasceno May 29, 2020

@jchu , this is an amazing feature! Atlassian  have plan to allow mention team in the watch field?

Thanks!

Like Sara Tucker likes this
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

@jchu  Our teams are starting to enjoy using Atlassian teams, but would love to be able to browse teams that have been created.

Relying on search to find existing teams means we don't always find what's out there -- is there any plan to introduce a Teams directory in the People menu, or something similar? 

Thanks for building this feature! We are looking forward to finding more situations when we can use it instead of Groups (which must be maintained by our Admins).

Like # people like this
Kirk Gould September 10, 2020

A few wonderings:

1. Portfolio for Jira has "Shared Teams" with Availability Management and past five Sprint Velocity Tab and forward looking capability based on Availability. (in Portfolio mode)

2. Roadmap for Jira does have "Shared Teams", but not Availability Management or past five Sprint Velocity Tab or forward looking capability based on Availability (in Advanced Roadmaps mode).

3. Are "Teams" a replacement for "Shared Teams"? (Not to be confused with "Microsoft Teams")

4. Nobody answered the question above about if or when Jira Server will have "Teams".  

5. In Jira v8.5, I don't see a way to create "Teams" as referred to in this article.

Like David Lee likes this
Mohammed Elyas Ahammad January 5, 2021

I would love to see the ability to add the Team in the Watch field/options.

Tyler Young February 23, 2021

Unfortunately, this doesn't actually "@mention teams" like the title says. What it does is creates a new autofill for people to use which creates a link to the team page and then a parenthetical pile of individual mentions based on whoever was a member at the time you typed `@`.

Like Ralph Wendt likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events