👋 Jira Cloud’s old issue view is going away soon

Hi everyone,

We’ve read your comments, and there’s a lot to address, so we’re putting them in their own community post. We’ve published the new post here. For further discussions, check out the updated post.

See you there,

Ahmud

Hi Community,

I’m Ahmud, a product manager working on the issue view in Jira Cloud.

Today we’re announcing that we’ll start removing all access to the old issue view from January 2023. The last feature we’re releasing before the old issue view is no longer available is one we’ve just started working on: the ability to reference attachments.

What should I expect?

Nothing changes if you only use the new issue view.

If you still use the old issue view, here’s what you can expect:

• You’ll no longer be able to temporarily click through to the old issue view by going to ··· > See the old view.

• Workarounds, like apps and extensions, that display the old issue view won’t work anymore.

• We won’t remove the old issue view until we release referencing attachments.

Why don’t we just keep both views?

We know that the new issue view isn’t everyone’s preferred option, but our goal is to make it so. The new issue view’s unique value has always been its immense customizability. Every team has different needs, including yours, and teams using the old issue view can’t personalize it. In the new issue view, admins can configure which fields are on the left, and which are on the right.

Maintaining two issue views is slowing us down from our north star: to make the new issue view the best for every team, including yours. By cutting down to one issue view, we’ll be able to fix bugs and ship features faster.

Give us feedback

Keeping our goal in mind, please let us know how we can make the new issue view work for your team. Here are some ways you can give us feedback:

• Leaving a comment below.

• Opening an issue and selecting Give feedback in the top right.

• Emailing me at aauleear@atlassian.com.

We’d love to hear how we can help you.

254 comments

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2022

Thank you for the information @Ahmud Auleear! I actually like the new issue view! I especially love that you can pin fields! That is such a helpful feature! 

Hugh Gibson December 9, 2022

Biggest bugbear for me with the new issue view is that adding a link to another ticket defaults to the first link type, sorted alphabetically. The old view would remember the link type and select that by default. I tried finding a JRACLOUD ticket for it but failed. Someone else asked at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Default-Issue-Link-Relationship/qaq-p/2204139 with no good answer. JRACLOUD-31425 relates to setting a default which would also work for me.

Update: Ticket JRACLOUD-76515 is about remembering the last link type and showing that when creating a new link.

Like # people like this
Jonathon Minard December 19, 2022

My main pain point with the new view is that having the right side always visible along with its own scrollbar is distracting.  I'd like the ability to collapse and expand the right side on the fly.

Like # people like this
Chris Charensac December 19, 2022

Hi @Ahmud Auleear

It seems that the old view is necessary to update custom fields.

I have created some custom fields (type “Date Time Picker”).

• With the normal view, you can only choose a 30mn slot and cannot enter a precise time (see pic below on the left).
  • With the old view, you can enter a specific time directly or press the edit button to do so (see pic below on the right).

Please assists,

Tks,

view Jira.jpg

Like # people like this
Hugh Gibson December 19, 2022

@Chris CharensacUp until very recently you could edit the time at the top of the dropdown. That stopped working for me 4 days ago. I made a comment to JRACLOUD-76590 which seems to be the most relevant ticket.

Like Carol Lage likes this
Michael Soulier December 19, 2022

I'm not a fan of the new view at all. The layout is not showing the information that matters to me, and the fonts are too big, and the WYSIWYG javascript editor is not what I want. Give me {noformat} and {code} blocks any time. 

Like # people like this
Brendan Leppert December 19, 2022

Thanks for the heads up. Adding to the list of features that are not available in the new view:

1. Restore the legacy panel functionality including support for imbedded tables.
  2. Can not add a table to an Info or other panel.
  3. Cannot delete an attachment another user has added - even if you have rights to do so under the old view.
    1. Update - files can be removed from the ticket by editing the Description and removing them there.
  4. Legacy markdown doesn't appear correct under the new view - bold, superscript, tables, panels, images are some cases that display incorrectly now.
  5. Cannot control the size of images any longer.
  6. Lack of contrast between sections.
  7. It takes longer to load a page than the older view did.
  8. Hitting "L" no longer opens the label popup - where you had the option to not spam users with the change.
  9. Could use buttons to go to the comment section + back to top.
  10. Make the right column collapsible. 
  11. It is not possible to add markdown directly into the new view. This is helpful for text templates that have the formatting embedded.
  12. Cannot copy the link to an attachment to a ticket in the new view. This is a handy feature to embed the link in emails or other communications making it simple to get directly to the file.

Thank you.

Like # people like this
Michael Johnson December 19, 2022

We're newly migrated to Jira Cloud from an old on prem version. I'm just getting used to things, but at this point the single biggest issue I have mirrors @Brendan Leppert , especially the lack of visibility on labels. I can't find them on the new issue view, and certainly can't change them. I also miss the text edit mode. I'm a web developer... I work with text markup all day long.

That said, I am pretty happy with the update as a whole from what we were using.

Like # people like this
Neil Murray December 19, 2022

I have to re-iterate the points;

* Michael Soulier,

* Brendan Leppert

* Michael Johnson.

made.  For pretty much the same reasons. 

Text mode is the most important one for me.

Like # people like this
Vinodkumar Mulani December 19, 2022

I just despise the new view after getting used to the earlier one, will see if I can get the fields in the areas that matter to me. Given a choice, I would always use the old view. 

Like # people like this
Demian Glait December 19, 2022

Hi, essential productivity missing in the new view is the ability to use the keyboard to edit custom fields. In the old view I can press "." and if I start typing the name of a custom field, the field name is listed, the title changes to "edit fields", and it allows me to edit this field. This option just doesn't exist in the new view - when typing the first letters of the field to edit, the action box remains empty

Like # people like this
Milan Karak December 20, 2022

Please implement "Rank to top" and "Rank to bottom" to new view before the old one is completely removed - [JRACLOUD-75253] "Rank to top" and "Rank to bottom" should be shown inside of an issue type e.g.: TASK in the New Jira issue view - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

This is critical productivity functionality for really large backlogs.

Like # people like this
Olena Logvinova December 20, 2022

Fully support the comment of Milan Karak about "Rank to top/bottom". This option is extra handy and helps visually organize an epic backlog that is large.

Like # people like this
Idan Arye December 20, 2022

To add to @Brendan Leppert's comment about not being able to add markdown directly in the new view - when writing long comments that contain code snippets and/or log dumps, I often use Textern to edit them in a proper code editor. The new view breaks this use case because all the markdown is removed when the extension moves the text to the external editor, and if I add markdown in the editor - it does not get applied when it moves it back to the textbox.

Having a markdown mode in the new view will be very helpful. I assume it's still markdown behind the scenes?

Like # people like this
Rossen Karaivanov December 20, 2022

Yet another reason to not recommend Atlassian products. Too much innovation for the sake of innovation. 15 years ago pages loaded fast on old PCs, and were full of useful features. Now it takes several seconds to load a page on a contemporary PC, and we get less features. A real shame.

Like # people like this
Chris Herzer December 20, 2022

I need the menu entry "Agile Board" in the old view very, very, very often.

So what should I do in 2023?

Like # people like this
Voichita Bodea December 20, 2022

I am using the old view because it's the only way in which i can edit epic's name (NOT the summary). Best strategy instead of letting go of the old view is to first "move" all its functionality in the new view and de-commission it only afterwards. #my2cents

Like # people like this
Erwin Smith December 20, 2022

Sad to see the old view go. The new version just isn't as user friendly. I hate it when things are 'fixed' when they aren't broken. Really wish the new version was an optional change. We are likely moving away from Atlassian after 10 years.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Fairfax December 20, 2022

The old view is a thousand times better than the new view.  The new view is a definite downgrade in our daily use.  :(

Like # people like this
Noel December 20, 2022

The old view shows functionality to show due dates on subtasks and start dates as well if you use a plug in (AND easy editing capabilities right from the drop down menu on the list of subtasks). If there is a way to do this in the new view please clue me in because we will be hampered big time without it. 

Like # people like this
Jason Gainor December 20, 2022

It is clear by the direction of the new issue view and lack of addressing user comments that Atlassian's UI team doesn't actually care about usability or user productivity. The UI vision today is more concerned with making the product look like a social media platform rather than a tool to run a business.

This is a regression to anyone that lives on the platform all day. Read the list of complaints (and lack of actually addressing concerns) in this thread or the three-year-old issue here:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70555. It seems like banking on user complacency/"our team has too much knowledge to change platforms" is how they plan on remaining users.

Please prove me wrong Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Karen Rabalais December 20, 2022

Old view allows us to change the JIRA from a bug to a story or task to story, will we still be able to do that or will we be forced to reject and create new?

Like # people like this
John Rocha December 20, 2022

The new issue view doesn't allow for the legacy input mechanism. It only supports WYSIWIG.

The only reason our company hasn't switched 100% to gitlab (since that's our source code repository warehouse) is because JIRA still has the old simple text based markdown/markup interface via the old view.

The new WYSWIG editor is horrible and not ADA compliant. The WYSWIG editor is slow and difficult to use. Anything that requires that I take my hands off the keyboard to mouse to something for formatting is a deal breaker. (see JRACLOUD-72631 for more details, this is the 2nd or 3rd iteration of this issue, since Atlassian keeps closing the issues despite a strong user outcry.)

Like # people like this
Krassimir Manolov December 20, 2022

Though understandable and honestly quite predictable, I'm very unhappy to hear this.

While the new issue view might be better with proper configuration, by default, the old issue view is much easier and quicker to use. In many instances, no scrolling is necessary with the tabs, and the screen isn't busy with unnecessary information and large boxes.

Also, though certainly not your concern, new issue view doesn't play well with many Dark Mode browser extensions.

It would be nice if old issue view was left as an option, even if unsupported, until your vision for new issue view is actually realized.

Like # people like this
Mher Aghasyan December 20, 2022

You did not fix simple bug as ftp sftp link should not go to mail to:bugftpsftplink.png
and you are removing old view without fixing reported bugs in your so cold new view ? It is insane.

Why do you then ask for comments and so on ???? What is the meaning ? 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events