👋 Jira Cloud’s old issue view is going away soon

254 comments

Kristen Sienko-Brown January 31, 2023

Right now to change an Epic title, I have to go through the old view to edit it. Is there a plan to make this possible through the new view? 

Like # people like this
Takak Ohashi February 1, 2023

I would appreciate the current issue view with which we are working fine. There is one functionality that we are relying on is that we heavily use bulk entry for Watchers. We wish we can continuously use that bulk entry in the current version as well.

Like # people like this
Sarah Pfeiffer February 2, 2023

Me personally, I don't like the new view at all.

For custom fields selecting values from drilldown list is not comfortable and long values are partially hidden. Is there a way to remove the right side panel? I prefer getting all the fields in middle, folding left side panel and not having right side panel at all, like it was in old view. Might be old fashioned but you get all relevant fields in one section in full width of the screen. 

Please keep the option to switch using old issue view. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user February 2, 2023

I am very unhappy about this. The WYSIWYG editor is simply inferior and insufficient for my use case compared to the old text based editor. Many others have listed heaps of reasons why, in this comment thread, in issue tickets, and elsewhere. You have had ages to implement a proper editor(i.e. keep the old one) and yet it is as worthless and terrible as the day the new issue view was launched.

You claim that you want to make the new view the best view for everyone, while completely ignoring strong, valid and constructive criticism presented by others about one of the most essential pieces of the issue view. I understand that you have to keep making superficial changes to the product for the sake of job security but I simply cannot believe that you are acting in good faith and listening to community feedback, as you so often claim.

Like # people like this
Dave Stevens February 3, 2023

The user experience editing links created automatically when entering URLs is not very good. Pretty much everyone is getting it wrong.

For instance, if you simply paste a url like https://foogle.com into a JIRA ticket, a link is automatically generated. Sometimes this might be accidental as part of pasting a larger block of text. Then you realize there's a typo in the link and fix it to https://google.com. This isn't an issue with the "old view". You change the url and the target is changed.

Like # people like this
Scott Powell February 3, 2023

The new view seems to hide the Delete option.  Then it appears in the new view after I switch any browser tab to the old view.

Please leave the link in the main menu.

Thanks

Like # people like this
James Pillar February 7, 2023

And there it goes.  SMH.

Feedback for the Founders
https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact
Let us know how we're doing.

I did actually hear back after emailing them.  I hate to be a pain but, taking away Old view without fixing New view is a pain.

Also not that I am forced again to use the 'New View' it's clearly a far worse user experience.  What have you been doing over the last year?  

🤢🤮

Like # people like this
Chris Herzer February 8, 2023

How can I use the old view?

You have deleted the menu item in the new view ☹️ So you make a lot of work for me 😒

I have to use it because there is no way to switch from the new view to the "agile board"!

I remind you of the ticket that 143 people have voted for since 2018 to date:

[JSWCLOUD-17107] Add Agile side Panel to the new Issue view in Jira - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

But nothing happened 😞

Like # people like this
Bradley Teribury February 9, 2023

Losing the ability to makes notes/info in a text editor or tool of choice using the markup is a huge loss.

Making notes outside of Jira and copying them in when ready is something we do frequently.  

The old markup does NOT display properly when copying it form your editor of choice into the new view.

Using the new view for lengthy notes is not a great option at all.  If it is a work in progress end up with many saves and it clutters the history and generates the automated Jira emails for edits/updates to a story.

Copying and pasting in from the editor of choice, I have to go through the jira editor to fix up everything that does not appear properly.

I can't seem to find the "new" mark up in the documentation yet.

Like # people like this
Boban Tavric February 13, 2023

Is it possible that you did it!!! 

Idan Arye February 13, 2023

Can anyone here recommend a third party Jira client I can use now that the old view is gone? Specifically I need the ability to edit the markdown in an external editor.

Like # people like this
Erwin Smith February 13, 2023

Now what do we do...this morning I am forced to use the "new" view, which has lost so much functionality. Leaning a worse interface is so discouraging....!

Like # people like this
Suhhoruki Mihhail February 14, 2023

This issue highlights why cloud services are a bad idea for the long term. I've checked several jira alternatives and they're all the same.

At this point I'm seriously considering pen and paper.

Like # people like this
pablo.ganuza@dzsi February 14, 2023

@Idan Aryecheckout https://gitlab.com/pabgan/jipy

It is a CLI application and any help or feedback would be appreciated. Specifically you would have to do:

$ ji.py update --issue ISS-25279 --comment comment.jira
Like # people like this
William February 14, 2023

New view dates are backward: month/day/year.  Which is a curious choice for a cloud based product that aims at the 'world'. 

Like # people like this
Joshua Beck February 15, 2023

Our access to the old view is gone now too.  What was so difficult about simply not taking away the old view?  Nobody was asking you to make updates, just DON'T TAKE IT AWAY.  Sooo disappointing.

Like # people like this
Carol Bachelu February 16, 2023

Where the heck is the priority field in the new JIRA view? I couldn't find it and had to  resort to the old view again.

Like William likes this

Where is the place to check the flags in the new JIRA view? I couldn't find it and had to resort to the old view again.

Erwin Smith February 16, 2023

@Carol Bachelu How did you resort to the old view? The way I was doing it was disabled. I really need to get back to a page that is useful! Please share with the group.

Like # people like this

If you click on the three dots at the top right of the JIRA (circled in blue in the following image),

ActionMenuForOldJIRAView.PNG

the See the old view option is the last one (circled in blue in the following image).

OldJIRAViewItem.PNG

Erwin Smith February 16, 2023

I used to use that, as well as a simple URL extension of ?oldIssueView=true but both have been disabled. What browser are you using?

Like # people like this

Google Chrome

Steven Braverman February 16, 2023

Carol, like your screenshot shows, it is not going to work for much longer (GOING AWAY SOON), so enjoy it now as much as you can.

Atlassian likely has been rolling it out canary-style.

e.g.

5% users first, then 20%, then 50%, 80%, ... until it's gone forever for everybody.

Atlassian, what would it take to get back the old view? Do I smell a business opportunity? Or is that already in the works...?

Like Chris Herzer likes this
Peter Scholtens February 17, 2023

Thanks for the tip, Carol. Unfortunately it did not work for long, after 2 days we were forced to use the idiotic 'new' view again.... :(

Like # people like this
André S_ February 22, 2023

I wonder why anyone can state such a sentence when user experience shows that this simply is not true:

The new issue view’s unique value has always been its immense customizability.

At least from what our admins tell me.

You cannot set paragraph spacing, lots of wasted space on the screen, constant scrolling.

And no way to display attachments in a grid pattern and not in this strip view. If there are more than 5..6 attachments on an issue chances are high you may miss one with this sliding view and constant clicking and loading of previews.

Who thinks this is practical and good UI design?

And don't get me started with page bloat: a single issue with a max.10 kB of actual information requires a HTML file of >800kB and more than 14 MB of Javascript files. What is this monstrosity?

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events