Issue Create in Jira - Read to know more

Greetings Everyone!

I’m Arjoon, a PM for the team that has been working on improving the Issue Create experience in Jira. We’d like to take this opportunity to give you some information about the work that we have been doing over the past year and also to share some more information about the future.

Creating issues is a critical experience in Jira. It is how our users create content in Jira and it is this content that forms the base on which the power of Jira comes to life. Over the past few years, we have received feedback from our customers about this experience not being up to par in terms of performance, functionality, and ease of use. As Jira’s usage and customers grow, we understand that the experience needs to grow and improve in tandem.

Hence, the team has been working over the past year to work on some of these key customer issues and also to set ourselves up for a future of significantly faster feature delivery so that we can get improvements to our customers faster.

What has the team been working on?

Over the past year, the team has been working on two fronts:

Improving performance: Slowness of the Issue Create modal has historically always been a strong source of negative sentiment from our customers. Users find that it takes forever for the modal to load, breaking their train of thought and diminishing their intent to complete the action of creating an issue in Jira. Over the past year, the team has been trawling through the code that powers the current issue create modal to identify and fix performance bottlenecks to improve the loading speed of the modal. All of these changes over the past year have been to the backend and have been incremental and so these improvements might not have been immediately perceived by our customers. However, I am happy to share that when compared to a year ago, the loading time for the 90th percentile of our customers has improved by approximately 55%. This translates to 20000+ hours of user time saved every month!

A modernized Issue Create modal:  As we looked at the Issue Create experience from a long term perspective, it became clear to us that we needed to step away from the code base that powers the current Issue Create modal in order to ensure that we can convincingly support the future needs of our customers in terms of functionality, performance, scale and also very importantly, for consistency of experience across Jira. The move to a modernized stack was inevitable because we anticipated that a time would come very soon that customers would need something very important and we simply wouldn’t be able to deliver it quickly because of the limitations of the current stack.

As a long-term solution to this problem, over the past year, the team has been working on building a modernized Issue Create modal and I am happy to share that the project is in its final stages of development. The new Issue Create modal will replace the current modal and bring in further improvements to performance, scalability, and efficiency. Read more about the new Issue Create experience here.

I am also happy to share that the project is on track to roll out to customers by the end of this calendar year (even sooner if possible). More information on this as we come closer to the rollout.

What’s next?

The modernized Issue Create modal primarily aims to solve the perception of the slowness of the Issue Create experience. However, we also acknowledge that this is only the first major step towards achieving our team's goal of making creating issues in Jira a fast, scalable, and easy experience for our users. The team is firmly committed to delivering key improvements to the efficiency of how issues are created in Jira and introducing new functionality that will give more power to users to create better quality issues overall over the course of the coming year. Your feedback via various forums will form the basis on which the team's work will be prioritized. 

However, we have also received feedback that as a team, we don’t do a good job of communicating changes to the experience. Any changes to the Issue Create experience, regardless of the good intentions behind them, can be a source of angst for some of our customers because we don’t communicate these changes in advance to them. Advance notice allows our customers to prepare and make tweaks, as necessary, to existing processes and also communicate changes to customer end-users.

As a positive step towards greater transparency, the Issue Create team has created an informational ticket on JAC where we will regularly update information about what the team is currently working on and tentative timelines on when features/enhancements/etc. will be available for customers. The link to this ticket on JAC is here. I urge everyone to please follow this ticket to always stay updated on upcoming improvements to the Issue Create experience.

I hope these updates and process improvements to Issue Create will bring some happiness to your Monday morning! That’s all from the Issue Create team for now. More to follow soon!

Thank you!

3 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2021

Thanks for sharing and especially the JAC so that it can be watched.

Like # people like this
Roman Romanov September 23, 2021

Are you going to fix an issue: after the task creation if you miss a popup with a link to the created task (which is shown for only several seconds) you have to spend a lot of time to find it. Like, going to a dashboard, or to search etc.

Why not just open your newly created task as Youtrack does? How many users create several tasks at once and need to stay on the page they were?

Considering an obsolete task editor, my workflow is next: I create a dummy task with no description, then open it and use new text editor.

Like Dale Chaudiere likes this
Arjoon Som
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2021

Hi @roman ,

Apologies for the delay in my response. The new Issue Create experience includes a change that we have made to the success flag (popup). With the new experience, the popup will not auto dismiss and will instead stay persistent on the bottom left of your screen until you dismiss the popup. Multiple popups will stack. So you will no longer have to race to click on the popup once an issue is created. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Arjoon 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events