Introducing new features for Jira Software Cloud's roadmap

125 comments

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2019

@Victor Burgos This next-gen roadmap experience should let you plan whether you are working 7 days a week or 5 days. We don't hold any upfront opinions about how many day of the week you should be working ;)

If you're still running into issues, please let me know!

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2019

@Rodrigo Sousa It's all available today, but only in your next-gen projects. If you haven't created one before, go to project creation and select a next-gen project. Like I've mentioned in the comment above, we are exploring how to bring this experience into classic projects. 

Patrick Bindels December 17, 2019

Nice improvement on the roadmap feature. I would really like to have this in Classic projects. The functionality for Next-Gen is to limited since we use multiple boards in one project a lot.

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2019

You’re right @Masha Aksenova . We found that customers have been using status filter to hide done epics from view. So now we’re working on a capability for a more effective and holistic way to solve this problem. We hope to get back to you with good news soon. But if there is another use case for filtering just for epics, please let us know.

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2019

Thanks for your suggestion @Bethany Holt that's a good one. It’s not something we have planned for the near future, but we will add it to our list of ideas and will try to prioritise it soon.

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2019

Hi @Bastien Abraham Currently on the roadmap, we only track progress based on issue counts, but we did consider story point counting as our next improvement. I’d love to understand how you incorporate this information into sprint planning. Is this in the roadmap context or just a general feedback for next-gen?

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2019

Hey @Danny van Kammen  thanks for your feedback! I want to send your feedback to the team looking over the next-gen permission experience. Could you tell us a bit more about the level of granularity you’re immediately looking for?

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
December 17, 2019

@진욱 정 안녕하세요. 평소 Jira를 사용하면서 이랬으면 좋겟다 하는 부분이 있다면 꼭 리뷰 남겨주세요. 하나하나 읽어보고 어떻게 하면 더 좋은 제품을 만들수있나 열심히 생각중입니다 :) 

Sascha Adam (BE21) December 18, 2019

Good, but overdue feature! Still missing state-of-the-art functions:

* Theme hirarchy above Epics - in reality you start roadmaps on a higher level that consist of several Epics

* Timeline should be calculated automatically based on every item within the theme, epic, etc.

So, at the end this is a nice Powerpoint feature for managers but not adequate for a company that should be in an innovative role...

Br Sascha

Victor Burgos December 18, 2019

@Erika Sa Sprint does not take into account 7 days. Only 5 days. Kanban board. 

ctoDiakse December 18, 2019

Amazing how this company is implementing stuff so slowly. Scale up ! 

John Callaghan December 18, 2019

Would love to see the ability to clear items from the roadmap. Long term projects get a bit cluttered. The new versions makes it super easy to manage this, but the roadmap ends up being huge with lots of 'completed' epics.

Sorry if this has been mentioned (not read all the comments)

Danny van Kammen December 18, 2019

Hi @Erika Sa It's been a while :) .

I do mis the freedom we have in the 'classic' permissions schemes. I can now configure it anyway we want or better yet, need. The Member can do to much, but then again the viewer can do to little. For now our customer can create issues, comment on them and attache files or screenshots. They can't move, delete or edit items. Also they won't see developer comments. We also don't want developers to move issues because of timemanagement/logging. That gives errors :( 

LAst but not least, Default members/group that should have acces to the project. I created a next gen project but another admin couldn't get in that project because i didn't put them in the project. And i got sick so that was a bit of a problem. 

We use a (custom) sync tool, to get the registered time from Jira/tempo in to another tooling. That couldn't reach the project either, (also Admin rights but not in the project).

does this help ?

Kind regards,

Danny

Virginia Harbord December 18, 2019

another vote for the roadmaps to be added to classic. Again, another set of users who can't switch to next gen due to lack of features generally so we have to stick to classic for now - the roadmap on classic would solve a lot of problems for us

Assaf Shimon December 18, 2019

Useless. We are working in classic mode, and this does not help in any mean. 

Mike December 18, 2019

Nice but useless as we've Zero intention to move to Next Gen.

One more vote for Classic integration here.

Yevgenia Lakhtyuk December 18, 2019

+1 vote for putting this in Classic

Dim Entelis December 18, 2019

1. I can`t sort tasks in epic

2. I can`t set-up time estimate to a task

3. I can`t auto change epic estimate (due there is no task estimates at all)

4. I can`t add more colors to epics

This functionality (and the new projects at all) are completely unusable.

Bill Dolce December 18, 2019

Looks great and I looking forward to learning and using it a bit more as it matures. Any thoughts on how Themes might be used to add an additional layer of hierarchy above Epics? Epic/User Story/Task OK... Theme/Epic/User Story/Task better. 

JD December 18, 2019

Looks interesting, hopefully it will arrive in Jira Server as well. The cloud solution is not really fast enough for production use.

Anna Arev Hovakimyan December 18, 2019

I really hope that with Next-gen roadmaps Jira will incrementally become a great portfolio management tool

orlando1 December 18, 2019

Hi!

I want to try this but I don't know how. Could you help me with the steps to set up and use the roadmap in Jira.

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
December 18, 2019

@torl  If you are using Jira Software Cloud, go to create a new project and choose to create a next-gen project. See the top right of the screen. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.20.03 AM.png

Once you've created a next-gen project, you'll have a roadmap out of the box. Check your side nav to find it (on the left).

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.20.40 AM.png

Chris Santeramo December 18, 2019

@Josh Frank  We're really want to use this but can't seem to turn it on.  Our project settings don't show a features section.  We're on JIRA Cloud.  Can you help us troubleshoot? 

Update: we're a classic project that's the problem.

Jeff Wheeler December 18, 2019

So, aside from the most obvious issue with limiting this to Next-Gen projects comes a fundamental problem with the narrow vision of having to use epics. I have come across this many times, and I finally realized the best way to use a road map is to simply keep it real simple and use another Tool. Why? because roadmaps are typically used with upper-management audience in mind.  What does upper management want to see? They want to know when a release is going live, high-level health and highlight MARQUEE features of a release. 

This feature along with many Jira plugins I have seen, uses the unfortunate assumption that we should use epics for this. Epics, however, I find are only good for ONE thing, and that is simply a container for technically related stories and tasks. Guess what, if I have an epic related to say, creating a Permissions page UI for administrators different stories/tasks will and should have varying release dates aka roadmap timelines. If you say all of these should have the same release date in an Epic, that brings you back to realizing the epic is pointless. Epics are NOT a good use for status, progress and release dates. Why is this?  Well in Jira - FIX VERSION is the release that has meta-data associated with it. The problem is the way Jira works, I cannot KEY on this metadata ( for instance the date of a fix version!!!) . I am not saying there are not roundabout ways to get it this to work, but I am sure others found what I found and it will create a mess out of Jira unless you are doing something really simple with limited stories, data which would also likely negate the viability of clogging your Jira Space with Epics.

Other reports, also key on releases and sprints. So, this, in turn, forces you to use Epics as a release - but for the love of donuts - why not just use fix version/release or even sprints? Sure, leave the option to key on Epics, for those who can get that to work. I suppose the filter feature could perhaps filter on <fixversion x> but still....

This is a cute feature that many like me are going to find is relatively narrow in usefulness.

All that is needed is a roadmap that is centered on a Fix version and THEN, can filter on anything you want within, stories, sprints tasks.

What you have done is very short-sighted in vision,, and leaving VERY old assumptions with Agile that people would use Epics in this way. And I have seen countless other tools make the same mistake.

All that aside, I am still glad to see the feature. But Jira's fundamental flaw has always been the ability to roll-up, or sum information. Why I still can't sum story points and have to export a filter to a bloody csv file is beyond maddening and silly, and yet this feature was a priority?

If I have missed the fact that this tool, can use something other than Epics, well that is because I am not going to create a Next-Gen project to try it because you should have put it in classic :)

I still like Jira for what it does. But for roadmaps, I continue with MS Paint before Jira :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events