Introducing insights for Jira Software Cloud

jsw-insights-blog-hero@2x.png

Available today, we’re excited to share that Jira Software customers now have access to new insights that bring key metrics out of reports and right to where teams plan and track their work.

Teams regularly turn to reports and dashboards in Jira Software to identify trends, visualize data, and find ways to improve performance. While having #allthedata is important, we’ve heard that customers need relevant metrics at the moment they are making decisions and choosing which pieces of work to prioritize. This is why we’ve added insights into Jira Software’s board and backlog — to provide better access to data, at the right time, so teams can work smarter, monitor performance, and continuously improve, right when they’re making plans and setting priorities.

Many customers are already taking advantage of insights. Six months ago, we released cycle time and deployment frequency in the deployments view of Jira to help visualize and measure progress from idea through production.

Deployments insights (1).png

With this release, we have three new insightsand one coming soon, available for all teams using a scrum template in either team-managed or company-managed projects (formerly known as next-gen and classic projects). Read on to learn more!

Sprint planning made smarter with insights in the backlog

• The sprint commitment insight helps teams plan the right amount of work, so they can predictably deliver on commitments. This insight monitors a sprint’s workload based on the performance of the past five sprints, and tracks whether the team is over or under committing, based on the recommended target.

• Issue type breakdown can help teams prioritize work in line with overall objectives. With this insight, the team can view at a glance the different types of work they’re taking on, for example, if they’re spending more time tackling time tech debt or shipping new features. This can help you identify areas for focus and improvement. For example, if you see your team is focusing disproportionately on bugs, that may be a signal that you need to look into your QA process.

Backlog - panel highlight (1).png

Stay on target to complete sprint goals, right from the board

• The sprint progress insight shows how the current sprint is pacing towards your goal. With this insight, teams can see the percentage of work by status, such as percentage of work that is done, in progress, or needs to get started. This can help teams review progress during the team standup and stay on track.

• [Coming soon] The sprint burndown insight helps teams track the amount of work remaining, and likelihood of achieving their sprint goal. With this insight, teams can see when work was added or removed from the sprint, monitor scope creep, and reallocate work to reach their target.

Board - panel highlight (2).png

Insights work right out of the box and are available today. Find insights in the backlog, board, or deployments view of Jira Software by clicking on the “Insights” button in the upper right corner of the window. See more detailed documentation here, and our Team’21 demo here.

Insights are sourced from board-level data and summarized to provide the team a holistic view of work. Customers using issue security schemes associated with company-managed projects will need their site admin to enable the aggregate data permission to gain access to insights. Learn more about aggregate data permissions here.

Lastly, please provide feedback via the insights feature—we’re excited to hear what you think!

Insights panel - feedback (1).png

40 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

Nice! Can’t wait to give it a try.

Like # people like this
Patrick Rach July 22, 2021

This is a great feature! Looks like mostly it talks about Scrum. What are the breakdown features of Kanban only?

Looking forward to using this!

Like # people like this
Rick Cottle July 22, 2021

No where in the article does it explain how to invoke insights.  I am looking at my backlog board and don't see it.

Like # people like this
oscar_molina July 22, 2021

Too small to have it as a mini widget! Would be good to make it bigger for a full screen analysis. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Thanks @Erika Sa!  Definitely something I'm going to look into more for our teams!

Like Sally Stone likes this
Deleted user July 22, 2021

When will Atlassian learn....there is NO SUCH THING, as a Sprint Commitment.

There is a Sprint Goal, but it has nothing directly to do with "Story Points" or "Stories Closed", or such nonsense.

And for that matter, when will it let go of the monstrous burndown. If anything a Build-Up or "Burn" up is more effective as it promotes a positive progress metaphor. Also it is even more useful in instances where Scope is volatile. The Build-Up is easier to mentally assess and process.

C'mon Atlassian. Get with it.

Like # people like this
Kelli Frattini-Adams July 22, 2021

@Rick Cottle Here you go. Just need to enable the aggregate date permission and make sure it's in each permission scheme.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-insights-in-a-company-managed-project/

ANDREW EBIGHOSE July 22, 2021

I am a bit confused here please can I get a mentor here?

I am interested in the new innovation system how do I  get along please

Like # people like this
Joao Arruda July 22, 2021

Really cool feature! Indeed helped the team in the last sprint planning.

Sally Stone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2021

Hi @ANDREW EBIGHOSEWelcome to the Atlassian Community! We have a bunch of resources in our Welcome Center group. I'd start here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Welcome-Center/gh-p/WelcomeCenter?&utm_campaign=community_groups_click_from_category

Like Viktoria Mikutskaya likes this
Tiago Carvao July 23, 2021

Any plans to support scrum boards that have more than one project in them? Thanks.

Like # people like this
El Makki Voundy July 23, 2021

I love it

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2021

We need that for kanban! Tracking lead time there is crucial

Like # people like this
Valerii Galagan July 23, 2021

Great feature it is!
Would be awesome to have ability to embed it into a Confluence report page for the top management

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2021

This is awesome!!!!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2021

Interesting... I hypothesize if this is expanded for Kanban boards the possible measures could include:

• Throughput
  • Lead Time
  • In-progress cycle time (by status category)
  • WIP Count over time
  • Age of WIP over time
  • A more accurately drawn/scaled CFD, with the x-axis crossing point on the y-axis at the appropriate value, not at zero

Other measures would require configuration based upon the team's workflow/status values, and perhaps not work for a quick out-of-the-box implementation such as this feature.

And...I truly hope these measures are persistent for points in time (aka history).  Other Jira reporting is often recalculated just-in-time, and so completely hosed when a team improves their workflow/status values.  That would not be a good fit for continuously improving Kanban teams.  Persistent, daily measurement granularity may work better.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
MEHLAQA HUSSAINI July 23, 2021

Excited to use new features.

Reda Elsaid July 23, 2021

Cool. As insights, i wished to see something like how far we are from the final objective in terms of date. That could be added in the sprint planning as well. Thanks 👍

Like Ifeoluwa Oduntan likes this
Manu Sekhar Semasekharan Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2021

This is very nice new features. 

I could not see the Sprint burn down in my active sprint insights. Does it required to enable anywhere 

Marilenis Tavarez July 26, 2021

This is a very cool feature. Thank you!! I am especially excited about the upcoming burndown insights!! 

Like Ifeoluwa Oduntan likes this
Sudheer Revuru July 26, 2021

Nice feature. Few boards that has reference to multiple projects do not show any reports. Any reason for this? Also similar insights for Kanban boards would be helpful. 

Like Jenny Zhai likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

The one slight negative I will raise here is in the naming conflict (duplication) with Insight asset management. IMO this is confusing and needs to be resolved. Personally I would drop “Insight” from asset management in favor of keeping Insights here. I never really grasped insight for asset management.

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2021

This is a tremendous feature @Erika Sa and my teams are just loving it. Kudos for bringing this in to the tool.

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 28, 2021

@Bill Sheboy I suspect that the things you're asking for would be insanely simple for Atlassian to implement, but I would be VERY (re: Extremely) surprised if they actually took to implementing fundamental mechanisms for flow like you've mentioned, given that some app vendors market apps that have (some) of these built into them.

Atlassian has demonstrated a propensity to "plugin"-ify over time. Rather than building things that are ACTUALLY useful, like those you've mentioned, they build things like "Sprint Insights" which while useful for some have IMMENSELY less utility than some of what you've described.

Consider yourself heard, but not by the people who'd actually be able to do something about it.

Like # people like this
Sally Stone
Atlassian Team
July 28, 2021

@Jack Brickey thanks for the flag! I see how the naming can be confusing, and we have a solution in progress to reduce confusion. Will share this feedback with the team.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events