๐ŸŽŠ Introducing a new issue create experience ๐ŸŽŠ

Hello Community ๐Ÿ‘‹

My name is Liron, and Iโ€™m a Group Product Manager for Jira Software. Today, Iโ€™m excited to announce an improved issue create experience that lets you minimize and maximize the issue create modal between 3 different sizes. Weโ€™re currently rolling out this new experience, and it will be available for all Jira Software customers by the end of December 2022.

3-state issue create experience

1.gif

At Atlassian, ease-of-use is a top priority, and our engineering and product teams are continuously making improvements to give you a better experience. We believe that the 3-state issue create will make the process of creating tickets easier and quicker. Hereโ€™s how:

1๏ธโƒฃ Minimize context switching

Weโ€™ve heard from customers that they need to be able to reference other tickets or different views in their Jira Software site when creating new tickets. With the 3-state modal, customers now have the ability to see a ticket being created, access relevant material or notifications, and copy and paste information all in a single screen.

2๏ธโƒฃ Maximize screen real estate

Screen real estate is precious โ€” especially when working from home on a smaller laptop. The 3 state modal reduces visual clutter, which means the effort needed to complete simple tasks is reduced, too.

3๏ธโƒฃ Work at your pace

Customers may need to pause during the ticket creation process, whether thatโ€™s to gather additional information or to attend a meeting. The 3-state modal accommodates these natural interruptions in workflow and allows customers to save their work and resume the ticket creation process at their leisure.

Additional updates to the issue experience

โ€ฆBut thatโ€™s not all! Our teams have been working hard to improve the ease of use of the issue experience in Jira Software by addressing a handful of papercuts. We hope these updates create a more delightful and engaging experience.

Add 'Assign to Me' option 

Directly assign an issue to yourself with a single click.

2.png

Inline editing in team-managed project backlogs

Customers can now make edits to the summary, priority, and epic of issues found in TMP backlogs without opening the issue.

3.gif

Sticky editor toolbar

As you scroll down the page in the issue view, the toolbar will stick to the top of the screen, making editing easier and more efficient.  

4.gif

Resize columns of the issue view

Adjust the column size on the issue view to your preferred widths.

5.gif

Add Status field for new issues

Change the default status of newly created issues to either โ€˜In Progressโ€™ or โ€˜Doneโ€™, rather than just โ€˜To doโ€™.

6.gif

Link issues

Easily create and link a new issue from the existing one across Jira projects.

7.gif

Reference attachments

You can now insert an attachment already on an issue in the new issue view from the editor toolbar.

8.gif

You and your teams will continue to see enhancements to Jira Software in the coming months and beyond. In the meantime, we cannot thank you enough for the continued support and look forward to hearing your feedback along the way! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป

73 comments

Bishopjustice December 14, 2022

Thanks so much for all of these great features! I love the Inline editing in project backlog experience, any update on when this will come to company managed projects @Liron

Like โ€ข # people like this
Nathan Sturgess December 14, 2022

Awesome to see @Liron !!! Glad you guys got this out!!

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2022

Amazing, 

Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2022

Hey @Bishopjustice - thanks for your comment - so glad you like the improvements! Yes, we are planning on shipping these to company-managed projects too, this is part of a bigger initiative to improve many other ease-of-use elements in those projects.  Once we have timings to share, we will.

Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2022

@Nathan Sturgess thank you!! long time no see! :) 

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2022

@Liron thank you for this update ... it is truly the small 'quick' updates that improve software multi-fold! I may not use the minimize/maximize straight away due to habit. But will share this with the team and Org and be sure to look out for much more like this.

I did not have time to see it but now I understand that I am in the same boat as @Bishopjustice  - looking forward to that too.

@Liron  curious, how does Atlassian monitor, improve, test and undergo UX/UI changes? (apart from community feedback)?

Sean Regan
Atlassian Team
December 15, 2022

Keep it coming! Love the focus on simplicity, we have more to do. 

Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 15, 2022

Hello everyone!

Great tips, thanks for the article.

I also want to join and recommend an add-on that will greatly simplify your workflow. 

My team released Email&Tasks: Jira Cloud for Gmail . This add-on allows you to create issues directly from your Gmail manually and automatically using AI.

• More features:
  • Search and edit any issue.
  • Add comments to tasks.
  • Log your work time without switching to Jira.

Also, we released Email&Tasks Chrome Extension (more detail in documentation). 

Hope it will help all of you

Sarah Hyne
Atlassian Team
December 15, 2022

Hi @Yatish Madhav

I'm a researcher on the team here. To answer your question about testing UX/UI changes, we do that in a number of ways! 

For monitoring, we collect feedback from customers via our product survey, the community, support tickets and other touch points, and we perform internal expert evaluations to assess Jira against usability heuristics. When weโ€™re working on product updates, we rely heavily on iterative prototype testing with customers to ensure the change is easy to use and adding value before taking it to code. We always test new features on our internal Jira instance with all the Atlassians. And in some scenarios, we release to a small subset of customers to stamp out any other bugs or usability issues we havenโ€™t already captured.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2022

OK thanks @Sarah Hyne  - I thought it would be through multiple means. Thanks for the insight ... internal expert evaluations interests me :D

Also love the internal testing with al Atlassians idea. Would love to be a part of that and with customer testing.

Thanks again

Jeff Laurenza December 19, 2022

It's great to see all of these new changes. Keep them coming, and keep up the good work!!

Like โ€ข Liron likes this
Roberto Miasack
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2022

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joshua Dickerson December 19, 2022

@Liron 

Great article! Love the improvements!
I noticed I have all of them on my instance but 1; the:

Add Status field for new issues

Are these updates rolled out as a package or individually?

Thanks!

clinton.mancer December 19, 2022

Momentum is building here!

Great stuff. :)

Tony Kaganovich December 19, 2022

I love the preview & change of column width feature. Is this available in ITSM on Issues in Queues?

Bryce Andrews December 19, 2022

Love a good usability improvement! Is there a darkmode on the way yet? ;)

Liron
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2022

@Bryce Andrews yes - Dark Theme is out in Alpha mode. You can access it via Jira Labs and turn it on!

Here's the community post explaining about the current status and how to provide feedback as we race to get to Beta state, and then public availability! 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Help-us-test-Jira-s-new-dark-theme/ba-p/2211399

Liron
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2022

@Tony Kaganovich yes, issue resizing is available in all issue views across the Jira's. I do not think it is available on the Queues view though.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2022

@Liron , excellent updates! Share my appreciation with all of the team.

Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2022

Hi @Joshua Dickerson 

I am a Product Manager on the team and happy to answer your question regarding the Add Status field for new issues. We are currently in the process of rolling it out to all users. We anticipate the feature will be fully available to all users early next year. We appreciate your patience as we work to bring this exciting new capability to all Jira Software users. Thank you for your continued support!

Mona Iren Vold December 20, 2022

Hope there also will be possible to edit storypoints without opening the jira-dialog. :-) 

Jean-Emmanuel BANQUEY
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2022

Nice improvements !

About linked issues, it will be great to reproduce this behaviour with child issues.
Typically, we have program-level epics that are on a different board that all of our teams' stories and for now, teams just can't create their own stories directly from the program-level epic

Ravid December 20, 2022

Great UX! Toda Raba, Liron & Hag Sameach!

Julia SH December 20, 2022

Congratulate! 

Neill B December 20, 2022

Is there a fix coming soon for being able to tab straight from the Summary field to the Description field, like how it used to be? I'm still finding bug creation to be a bit more cumbersome than the old view.

The other little niggle for me that was better in the old view, is how inline text formatting updates immediately now. It doesn't make writing a report any quicker, but if I make a typo, I have to take a couple of extra steps to undo erroneous formatting, compared to how it used to be.

Like โ€ข Dave Liao likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events