How to log work in tempo for other users

I have worked out how to log work on behalf of other users in JIRA Cloud. 

There are other posts here that discuss this topic, but they involve older versions of JIRA (from 2013 or earlier) and strangely, I would like to ask a question and answer it myself for the benefit of others who are stuck. It took a while to figure out and I finally got there.

In some cases, team leads and project managers need the ability to log work on behalf of others, though for sensible reasons, this permission should be given in rare cases and only to seniors in your team

Step 1: In JIRA, click on "Tempo" from the left sidebar. Then click "Teams"

Step 2: Open the team you are wanting to modify. If you have not created a team, you will need to do so and add members and projects to it. 

Step 3: Once viewing the team, go to the top right corner cog and click it. You should see "Permissions" appear. Click this to open the permissions panel

Step 4: I used the the + sign to add a new permission role for this purpose. I called it "Leads" but you can manage groups to your own liking and use the preset "Team Lead" group is preferred. 

tempo-settings.jpg

Step 5: I then gave permissions to the special group to Manage Team Worklogs and Approve Time Sheets. 

Step 6: I clicked on the block to add users to the Leads group so they inherit the permissions. Just a note that you need to add the users in a popup and then click the blue tickbox to properly add them to the group. 

add-users.jpg

Once this is done, the users in this group should then have a dropdown on the log time pop up in JIRA where they can type the name of another member of staff and log time on their behalf.

Best of luck!

3 comments

Tatjana Špoljar November 5, 2019

Thank you! Is there also a possibility to log work for multiple users or a team? E.g. national holiday needs to be logged for 20 users and can I do this in one step?

Tomaž Ščuka December 3, 2019

Appreciate your input. It helped a great deal!

Tomas Doubek February 10, 2023

Thankf for your input. This helped me a lot to get started.

Comment