How to export more than 1000 issues using Google Sheets

Often we need to export our work to spreadsheets so we can create graphics or more sophisticated reports, however, due to known limitations in Jira the export is capped at 1000 issues at a time. The workaround for this can be found here, unfortunately, this is not ideal.

Besides the CSV exports, we can export issues directly to Google Sheets and Microsoft Excel using the correspondent buttons for them:

Microsoft Excel

To export issues to a Microsoft Excel file or open them in Excel Online:

1. Select the Open in Microsoft Excel icon above the search results

2. Choose either:

1. Excel on desktop

2. Excel Online

If you use Excel Online, the issues will open in a new spreadsheet in your browser. If you're a desktop user, you'll get an Excel file to download.

Google Sheets

To open issues in Google Sheets:

1. Select the Open in Google Sheets icon above the search results

2. Log in and authorize Google Sheets to access your Jira data if you haven't done so already

The issues will open in a new spreadsheet in your browser.

By itself, these exports would still be capped at 1000 issues, but using Jira Cloud for Sheets we can export up to 10,000 issues just fine.

Install Google Sheets

From a Google Sheets spreadsheet:

1. Click Add-ons then click Get add-ons…

2. Search for “Jira Cloud for Sheets” then hover over the card and click +Free.

3. Follow the prompts to give the add-on access to your Google Sheets spreadsheet.

Connect your Cloud instance

1. Open a Google Sheets spreadsheet and select Add-ons → Jira Cloud for Sheets → Open…

2. Click CONNECT, this will open a new browser window.

3. Select the site you want to add from the list of available sites, and click Accept

Once the authorization is successful you’ll be redirected to your Google Sheets spreadsheet and you should see something like the following (aka the hamburger menu):

You can now import Jira issues to your spreadsheet by clicking on Get data from Jira and then using one of the following methods:

• Using JQL - If you don’t write a specific JQL query the system will import  all issues from all projects
  • Using filters - If you have filters defined on your Jira Cloud site, you can use them in the spreadsheet (Currently, we only support ‘ Starred Filters ’.  Make sure the filter you plan to use is ‘Starred’ on your Jira Cloud site)

Jira will run the query and return all matching issues in the current sheet. It should look something like the following: 

The max rows define the maximum number of issues that will be imported. Tested with 10.000 issues without a problem.

You can also schedule exports with this addon, and it is free.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

6 comments

Denis Molla April 19, 2022

Hi,

How to configure the fields to be exported? 

(In my case, I would like all fields)

Thanks,
Denis Molla

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2022

Hi, @Denis Molla .

You have three options:

1. You can first create a filter in Jira, then select the fields you want to export in the Columns section of your Jira filter and whenever you export the filter results, you'd get the columns from the filter.
  2. Same as point 1 without having to save a filter. Any changes (add/remove, drag, sort) you make to the Columns section of the Advanced Search results (list of issues) in Jira will be reflected in the spreadsheet export.
  3. You can directly change the JQL in Sheets or Excel. Take a look at the screenshots in the post and you'll see the JQL tab.

In your case, "all fields" means that you'd have to manually add the columns (fields) for the Excel / Google Sheets export to produce a file with over 1000 records and show "all fields". Think about whether you actually need all of them, especially if they are more than 10-15.

Anil Nandibhatla July 16, 2022

I want to import only the records that are not presented in the Google Sheets and if any new records are added in Jira that should be added at the end of the sheet, how I can achieve this?. At this moment this plugin exporting all the records from the Jira project and replacing them in Google Sheets. I need a way to check if those records exist in google Sheets if yes no need to dump only it should export new records.

Like Kalin U likes this
Ricardo Millán November 24, 2022

Hello there, 

I'm using the same connector showed above but there's a problem: It gets to a point where the data crash and it cant be updated,  currently working with 6k of results, any solution for this? We need to schedule the results hourly or daily but we cant do it since the API crash loading the data. 

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2024

Thanks @Pedro Henrique Fernandes  this article and the linked workaround has helped! 

Michael Flores February 29, 2024

This seems no longer to work as of sometime in the last few weeks. I can only import up to what seems like a cap at 2210 issues. Anyone else? Is this a new "fix" from Atlassian? I quite liked being able to import 10,000 issues if needed but those days may be over now.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events