A better navigation for Jira Cloud is coming soon [available now]

241 comments

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2020

@Matt Tse it appears the application navigator is no longer customizable? I had the URL (mysite.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/customize-application-navigator) bookmarked, and can still update and edit items there, but they are not reflected in the actual application navigator icon. 

Has this functionality been removed, or is it still in progress? I realize that it's not a good experience to have a navigator that has dozens of links, but we are very used to being able to add a link to our internal service desk portal, at the very least, and will be very unhappy about not being able to do that anymore...

Rajesh March 5, 2020

Impressive...

Thank you....

Igor March 6, 2020

Nice job

Haroon Kiani March 6, 2020

Looks good 

Haim Arazy March 6, 2020

My top concern is: how do I get back here? Currently, I have dozens of pages bookmarked because I find it difficult to figure out how to navigate to my desired page.

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2020

@Matt Tse There are so many great things about the new Jira navigation - thank you!

That being said, we are feeling a lot of pain over not being able to set a Dashboard as the home page. 

Every one of our teams has customized dashboards, which are particularly helpful to us since we  also use Jira Service Desk. Our emphasis is on team performance -- not just "Your Work". 

Atlassian's decision to take away our ability to self-determine our homepage feels kind of intrusive -- please consider bringing back the option. We have hundreds of users who would vote to prioritize this issue.

Jerry Sherman March 6, 2020

The ability to create and set as the default a dashboard seems to be a basic capability.  

Jason Coan March 6, 2020

I couldn't be more happy that you guys are bringing back the old menu system!!

Spencer Simons March 6, 2020

When is Jira going to provide a better table-view of projects in a sprint? I personally hate working with cards and kanban boards and I can't seem to configure a good table view for myself using the tools Jira provides. I'm surprised Atlassian being as big and well established as they are don't even offer this kind of view.

Cassio Menezes March 11, 2020

Hi there.
Looking foward to use this new interface.
Didn't have the chance to join early adopters.

Dennis Wagemaker March 12, 2020

I noticed a lot more tools seem to abandon the sidebar/icons menu in favor for a traditional top-bar navigation with dropdowns. Is this an ongoing trend? Is there any documentation/research about the usability of the top bar compared to the icon-sidebar?

Currently working on something similar with a navigation change, so it would be an interesting read for me ;)

-edit-  

Looking at the old "new interface" post, it seems like it's mostly returning to the old format:
https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/your-teams-are-getting-better-navigation-in-jira-cloud

Ryan Gibbons March 17, 2020

@Dennis WagemakerEveryone thought that with wide screens, vertical space was prime realty. The truth is, people track top-to-bottom, so side navigation never really took off. I think it will always be a part of nested trees, but never primary nav. I purposefully didn't use cloud for several instances I've set up and administered because nobody liked the cloud interface. Unfortunately, Atlassian seems to shoot themselves in the foot with a lot of their product decisions, especially the split from server to cloud. I mean, why can't I see in-line edits on Confluence while in edit mode? It works on server with a plug-in, but nothing for cloud!

Jaime G March 25, 2020

My last email about this said that starting in March, the new navigation would start being rolled out. Do we now have the option to opt-in to the new look? Just making sure I haven't missed something. Thanks :)

Codezilla March 25, 2020

I'm using it....

You can turn it on from your profile popup... see below:

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.03.25 PM.png

Jaime G March 25, 2020

@CodezillaI don't have that option on mine...2020-03-25_14-06-14.jpg

Ethan V. March 25, 2020

I don't have the option either.

Codezilla March 25, 2020

@Jaime Galloway @Ethan V. 

My apologies.... I was able to try it as part of a UX study that I signed up for with Atlassian. Because the Atlassian folks asked me a few times if my teammates tried it, I assumed that meant it was available for everyone. However I realize now that it was probably turned on for my team to try and that maybe it is not available officially yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Jorge Aranda Fernandez April 1, 2020

I think for me is going to be rather easy and more accessible. 

jr.oliveira April 9, 2020

Oh - this is gold.  Landed on this subdomain for the first time. Logged out, there is a prompt to 'Like' a comment, but as soon as I'm logged in, the CTA goes away? What is this sorcery? 

As Travis said, we have come full circle. Nav is back on top. It's not better - it's not worse. I believe the improvements that were made to posting, in general, are much more impactful. 

BTW - It's 2020 and you still cannot sort tickets by their status within an Epic.

Vadym Slyva April 9, 2020

No dark mode?..

Deleted user April 9, 2020

@Vadym Slyvahere you have the dark mode for Jira in chrome -- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/night-mode-for-jira/nlgcogdbamhmdbpaabmpklojolokodaa

Works like a charm including Confluence and Trello

Vadym Slyva April 9, 2020

@[deleted] thanks, but that's an ugly tweak with rainbow-glowed white text and unacceptable tuned attached images. I'm expecting for a native dark mode.

Deleted user April 9, 2020

@Vadym Slyvait just inverts colors and has a number of custom tweaks for better compatibility with Jira. It would be great to get your feedback with the screenshots here https://growthdot.com/contact-us/

Tejas Kharat April 9, 2020

loved it :)

Adeel Mushtaq April 9, 2020

Great work!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events