A better navigation for Jira Cloud is coming soon [available now]

241 comments

Martin Heinz April 30, 2020

So you are finally moving back to the original Navigation. Was about time.

Karuna Rao April 30, 2020

New look is good. Navigation is made simple. However, structuring requirements is still native. We are forced to use a mix of labels, components and epics rather than a proper folder structure. I would love to see better organization of requirements. Also the new view in Jira (WSYWYG) doesn't apply styling very well. Also cannot use image thumbnails in comments. 

Noemi MF May 2, 2020

Im new with Jira so I can not really compare with previous versions but all these nice features are pretty exciting :) 

Therese Keyes May 6, 2020

Excited for the new changes.

Flavia Aresta May 6, 2020

This is amazing! I'll use it to contribute with more impressions.

Donald May 6, 2020

I hope that this new release will be better for navigation than the status quo.

Andrea Spadaro May 7, 2020

Waiting for it, with if it is possible the timestamp for the attachment :)

laritza.rodriguez May 7, 2020

Esto cada vez está mejor! 

vitazoslavvajda May 7, 2020

Very usefull for me. Thx.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

@Esther Strom ,

Sorry about that! This is a bug we’re aware of and we are addressing. Feel free to follow https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74278, which is where I’m trying to more broadly share the changes and the updates as we go.

@Haim Arazy ,

Where are you trying to get back to? Could you shed some more light on this for me? Happy to chat about this in more detail. Feel free to email me at mtse[at]atlassian.com

@Sharon Helms ,

Thank you so much for the feedback and suggestion. This is an area of interest for us and we are looking at how to better address it. We understand how important Dashboards are to many of our customers. Would you be opened to a more in-depth discussion about Dashboards? I’d love to better understand how they fit in the day-to-day of you and your teams' usage.

Feel free to book some time with me here: https://calendly.com/mtse/jira-cloud-chat

@Spencer Simons ,

I completely understand where you’re coming from. I love tables myself and I still find myself going back to good ol' Excel for a lot of things. This is a great suggestion that I’ll do my best to pass along to the right team. Unfortunately, I can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to deliver this anytime soon given the existing priorities we have. In the meantime, if you want a table view of issues, the best place to go to is our advanced issue search, which can be found from going to the search menu and clicking “advanced issue search”.

@Jaime Galloway , @Ethan V. ,

Apologies for the delayed response here! At this point, the new navigation is generally available to more existing customers; however, we are still in the midst of releasing to everyone. If you have yet to receive it, I ask that you continue to remain patient. If you have a strong case for needing the new navigation now, please reach out to our support team.

@jr.oliveira ,

Definitely some magic happening here on the community forum… I’ve pinged our community team to see what might be going on here.

As for your comment - yes; we definitely have come full circle and admittedly, we would have loved to have gotten it right the first time, but we didn’t quite do it justice. We do strongly believe this iteration will make it easier for our users to find things in Jira.

As for the sorting by status within an Epic; my colleague Yerbol is working on an experience that will allow you to do just that! Here’s a post that goes into a bit more detail about it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Introducing-issue-navigator-in-next-gen-projects/ba-p/1339049

@Vadym Slyva ,

While at this time we don't support a dark mode out of the box, we do provide custom theming, which can modify the color of the navigation for the entire site. Your Jira administrator can access this in Jira's system settings. Here is our official documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-the-look-and-feel-of-your-jira-applications-780861527.html

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2020

@Matt Tse thank you, but can you clarify what you consider the "bug"? The fact that I can still access the page to edit the navigator, or that the custom items I add do not display? I am watching the ticket you linked, but I'm not seeing any kind of explanation of expected functionality.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

@faruqh1 ,

Sorry to hear that. I’d love to better understand why you loved the left navigation so much? Feel free to email me at mtse[at]atlassian.com

@Rick, 

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback and suggestion. This is not something we’ve really encountered in the research we’ve done. I’ve love to better understand it. Would you be up for a call sometime? Feel free to book some time in my calendar here: https://calendly.com/mtse/jira-cloud-chat.

@Steve Howe ,

Thanks for chiming in! I’d love to say that we got it right the first time, but it turns out we didn’t. That said, while the pattern is very similar to the old navigation, we have made a few improvements to its responsiveness and performance.

@Klaus D. Zuidwijk ,

Apologies for the delayed response! The new navigation has started to roll out and is now available for most of our Cloud customers. We are still in the midst of completing this rollout, so I encourage you to follow https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73180 for more information.

@Andy Badke ,

Thanks Andy! Great to hear from you bud. Hope all is well.

@Shad Reynolds ,

Unfortunately, the text editing experience isn’t part of this change, but I have raised this with the team responsible and rest assured they are working through this.

@Ethan V. 

This is not a Jira Labs-specific feature. The plan is to have this rolled out and adopted across all Jira instances, but we are trying to be flexible with the timing so that people can take the time needed to switch over.

@Richard Shearwood ,

We didn’t tackle any keyboard navigation improvements this time around, but I’d love to better understand what you’d expect from this. Feel free to book some time with me at https://calendly.com/mtse/jira-cloud-chat.

@Boris_Nienke , 

We understand that screen space is extremely important when using Jira. We are looking into the spacing problem in more detail and plan on addressing it in the future. For progress of the work, I'd encourage you to follow our public issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74032.

@Luis Dias , @matthew moulton ,

We are thinking about the differences between Your work and Dashboards and we do have plans to be looking into this in more detail in the coming months. I’d love to better understand how Dashboards fits into your day-to-day and your teams' workflows. Would you mind sending me an email to discuss this further? You can reach me at mtse[at]atlassian.com

@G ,

Thanks for the feedback Greg. We’ve spoken about this previously and I’m having these exact discussions with the team. I’m afraid it’s not something we can change overnight, but rest assured I will find a way to communicate our next steps/intent once we know more. For now, I’d encourage you to keep following the JRACLOUD-73180 ticket.

@William Sheboy ,

This does sound like a bug that needs to be further investigated. Have you already raised this with the support team? If so, would you mind sending me the support ticket for it? Alternatively, feel free to email me with details and a screen capture of the problem to mtse[at]atlassian.com

@Greg Quinn ,

Thanks for the feedback Greg. This is something I use often as well, but our teams are currently prioritized on other initiatives for the time being.

I understand that this is probably frustrating to hear, because it sounds like it would make a huge impact for your use case, but in trying to balance the needs of every user, we make trade-offs that may disappoint some.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

@Esther Strom ,

Sorry about that. I'll clarify that in the ticket. The bug that has been reported at this point is that the custom links do not appear in the Atlassian product switcher menu. Can you confirm that this is the problem you're experiencing?

William Sheboy May 18, 2020

Hi @Matt Tse 

My company already raised the noted issue as an accessibility defect; we were able to narrow the repro steps to include scaling above 100% on high resolution/high DPI devices.  The device itself recommended a setting above 100% for improved visibility.

What we heard back from Atlassian support? Answer: don't use resolution scaling above 100%.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

@Kamil_Kseń , @Gaurav Shah , @eren ,

Performance is definitely top of mind for all our teams working in Jira Cloud. Where possible, every team is responsible for ensuring the experiences they build and ship are performant. This won’t be an overnight change, but we have the right level of emphasis on it and I’m confident that the performance will get increasingly better.

If there are certain areas where you find yourself really being slowed down, would you mind sending me an email and giving me a bit more detail? I’d love to better understand where in the product you run into the most issues. Feel free to send me a note at mtse[at]atlassian.com.

@Giovanni Tummarello , 

We understand that screen space is extremely important when using Jira. We are looking into the spacing problem in more detail and plan on addressing it in the future. For progress of the work, I'd encourage you to follow our public issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74032.

@[deleted] , @Brandon McConnell , @Christopher Reimschussel ,

While at this time we don't support a dark mode out of the box, we do provide custom theming, which can modify the color of the navigation for the entire site. Your Jira administrator can access this in Jira's system settings. Here is our official documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-the-look-and-feel-of-your-jira-applications-780861527.html

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

@Karuna Rao ,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve passed this feedback along to the team working on the issue experience. If they have any follow-up questions, they’ll get in touch.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

@William Sheboy , thanks for the follow-up. The advanced issue search experience is one of the few experiences we have not prioritized any work or time on in the past; however I am happy to say that it is an area we'll be looking into more in the coming months. Ensuring that the experience is accessible and handles different viewports, zooms will be one of the inputs that goes into that work. If you'd like to send me a screen capture and exact steps of how to reproduce the problem, I'd be happy to look into it and make sure the team looking into that area has the context.

I tried following your steps on my local instance and I was unable to reproduce the problem. That or I misunderstood the steps!

Karuna Rao May 19, 2020

@Matt Tse

Thank you. That sounds great. 

Haim Arazy May 19, 2020

@Matt Tse Any page - not always sure what I am looking at, don't always know how I got there, and often I can't find my way back. I am collecting dozens of bookmarks just so I can get back to a page I find useful. The navigation is confusing and short of intuitive. I find pages by accidentally clicking around because I can't make sense of the navigation. 

I think left vs. top menu misses the point. Can we pick one and stick with it for a while? For me "better" is neither left nor top, it's the one I don't have to re-learn every so often. 

Can we make the navigation reveal more and hide less? Can we make it easier to find stuff? Can we show more information on the screen by default instead of hiding it? I am staring at an empty screen when there's so much information hidden from me by default. I can't be productive if I have to constantly mess with the settings... I'd like to see every single field of every single issue on the screen by default so I can get stuff done. 

Edward Battistini May 21, 2020

how do i turn this on? I

Hogan Haake May 21, 2020

If you want to focus on my productivity, stop changing stuff. Just about the time I figure out where things are, you change them. Spend your efforts making pages load faster. As a developer, I just want to write code. About once a year, some Atlassian component changes and I have to re-learn how stuff works.

The most effective search I've found for JIRA/Atlassian is my address bar. If its important, I've loaded the page before and I'll modify the URL to find it. Using your search is normally a waste of time.

Matt Sywulak May 21, 2020

Does this allow you to search only the project you're currently viewing?

Anil Menon May 22, 2020

Thank you !!

Andrew H May 22, 2020

Looking forward to it, Feeback from new users is that the current format is not intuitive.  Hoping the next iteration will be

Great Stuff

Andrew

pramod.b May 24, 2020

Love that top navigation !!!!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events