A better navigation for Jira Cloud is coming soon [available now]

241 comments

maxmaffia December 11, 2019

This is nice thank you! 

Eric Martin December 11, 2019

Back to the future

I'm glad Atlassian is abandoning the all-navigation-on-the-left insanity... I have always hated it. It's great to see the navigation return to an improved version of the previous navigational construct.

I can't wait to get this!

Chris Tietgen December 11, 2019

Hopefully it will finally contain a fix for the slow issue view. It's annoying to constantly switch back to the "old view".

John Armstrong December 11, 2019

Fix SSO. What a PITA that mess is.

Ethan V. December 11, 2019

Oh finally. A new version of the Jira Server interface (which is far superior to Cloud).

Paran December 11, 2019

Just when You come to terms with a new interface someone goes and changes it.  Not impressed, this is precisely what I advised against in feedback I gave after the last interface rejig a matter of months ago.  How long are you going to keep on alienating users by regularly making major changes to the UI? Some consistency would be a vast improvement you could achieve by doing nothing. 

Michael.Collison December 11, 2019

When the interface was last changed this caused an issue with us linking an external website to a ticket. Do you know if this has been resolved? As a workaround, we had to revert back to the old interface. Will this still be an option? 

mario hoek December 11, 2019

This is great. Looks so much better than the current navigation. In fact, looks remarkably similar to the previous UI.

Oskar Hellgren December 11, 2019

Will we still be able to use "classic" jira?

Tormod Tønnesen December 12, 2019

I hope you're not forgetting the "." and other hotkeys in this design, they were sadly lost in the last redesign. Can't work fast without hotkeys!

Uday Joshi December 12, 2019

Great! Helpful changes.

Tobias Vesterlund December 12, 2019

@Philipp Suchan Something that bothers me, and most developers i work with, is that the top part of the screen takes up almost 50% of the screen real-estate. The actual user stories/sub-tasks etc that matters most only gets ~half of the screen. Please add a feature to make it possible to hide the top-part of the screen to maximize screen real estate for the backlog.

newUI.png

Damian Suchodolski December 12, 2019

The change is really welcomed! Great job guys!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2019

@Tobias Vesterlund I agree wholeheartedly. I have the same issue with Portfolio as well. The top part takes up so much room that you can't actually see many issues at a given moment ... which makes for lots of scrolling.

Gabriel Viger December 12, 2019

Can you not change the issue view please! Unless you tell me that you will revert it back in 2 years ;)

In all seriousness, good job :)

Adam Stotz December 12, 2019

A welcome change, but how about an updated Issue List View to edit fields in place in the table? That would save us much more time than the navigation updates.

Paul Jones December 12, 2019

Great that you are changing this. I have found that with more features added to JIRA and JIRA cloud it is getting harder to navigate around. The top toolbar will help.

Rodolphe Garin December 13, 2019

When is coming ? it will be nice to hace direct access like the old jira version. it was great function. 

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019

@Alexey Turchanikov , 

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I’ve passed this along to the next-gen team for their consideration.

@Tom Horton  ,

Yes, as mentioned below by Eric, this new UI will also apply to Classic projects. 

@EwaBo ,

We do our best in trying to ensure that all our users are heard but we do get a lot of feedback from a variety of sources. We can’t guarantee that we’ll always be able to meet the requirements of every customer, but we certainly try.

With this new navigation that we’ve been working on, we spoke to hundreds of customers and conducted a lot of primary & secondary research to get to where we are today. I’m always opened to talking to more of our customers, so feel free to email me (mtse[at]atlassian.com) directly and we can chat further about what you’re looking for!

@Deb Page ,

I understand the need for your team members to quickly navigate to a dashboard, which is why we’ve added dashboards as a menu item in the new nav. You can also star dashboards which will make them appear at the top of the dropdown for easy access. We believe that this will give users a better navigation path for dashboards and generally increase their use.

At this point, we do not have any plans to allow users to set their “homepage” in Jira. I can see why this level of customization may be preferred, but this adds to the technical complexity of what we are trying to build. With this new navigation, we plan on decreasing the load time to make the overall experience faster, so any reduction in the business logic we can afford to cut will make that goal more achievable.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me directly at mtse[at]atlassian.com. I’d personally love to better understand how you and your teams navigate and browse Jira.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019

@Chris Tietgen ,

Unfortunately, the new navigation we’re working on won’t include any specific improvements to the issue view experience; however, I’ve passed along this feedback to the team who works on that. They are working on improving the performance of the issue view experience, so if you're opened to elaborate further, I'm sure the team would be delighted in chatting!'

@John Armstrong ,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems with SSO. If you care to elaborate on the issues you’re having, I’d be more than happy to try and pass them along to the right team.

@Michael.Collison ,

I’m afraid I’m not aware of such a change that happened. It sounds like a bug though. Have you gotten in touch with our support team? If not, I’d recommend doing so: https://support.atlassian.com/.

@Oskar Hellgren ,

Yes, ‘Classic’ Jira remains untouched from a functionality perspective with this new navigation.

@Tormod Tønnesen ,

Great callout - this is something I’ve prioritized and will be working with the team to make sure that we’re keeping them as they are today.

On the topic of hotkeys though, I’d love to better understand how you use them. If you have time, it would be great to chat about them as this is an area I’m exploring on the side at the moment. Feel free to reach out to me at mtse[at]atlassian.com.

@Tobias Vesterlund@Davin Studer

Interesting suggestion! I'd encourage you to raise it here on the public issue we've created: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73180. I’ll take this into consideration and speak with our design team. Would you be interested in any follow-up interviews? I can’t make any guarantees on where this sits in terms of priority, but I’d be happy to follow up with you if we proceed further.

@Adam Stotz ,

What a coincidence - this is something that our teams have been looking into and will be spending more time exploring in the new year. Would you be opened to my team following up so we can better understand how you use the Issue List view?

@Rodolphe Garin ,

I don’t have exact dates, as our team is still working out the details. Our plan is to have this available in Early 2020. I’ll be updating the progress of the work on our public issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73180.

Adam Stotz December 16, 2019

@Matt Tse I'd be happy to if it's something your team would have a decent chance at implementing!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

@Matt Tse I would totally be interested in a follow up interview for it.

John Armstrong December 16, 2019

@Matt Tse The team knows about it, they just don't care

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trust-Security/Handling-of-multiple-My-Atlassian-accounts/gpm-p/584190

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Currently-have-multiple-accounts-to-multiple-Cloud-JIRA-s-can-I/qaq-p/585117

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Same-user-account-for-different-companies/qaq-p/75219

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Does-Jira-no-longer-allow-multiple-users-with-same-email-address/qaq-p/238025

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-7292

The team there is pretty lame about this. This was functionality since the beginning of Jira Cloud that so many people used and it was just broken for no good reason (feature-wise, I get it, it was probably an architectural limitation).

At the time, the support and PM's I chatted with did not even KNOW they broke this. It was clearly an ad hoc and poorly considered decision that caught the team by surprise. Atlassian rarely consults power users of the product and when they do, its to cherrypick the data they need in support of a conclusion they already made.

Of course, everyone backpedals after the fact and says 'Oh this was intentional' when it clearly was not.

Anyhow, huge hassle and it makes us move new teams to lesser tools like Asana. It is that much of a pain in the butt. I have 7-8 Jira cloud instances going at any given time and now I have 6-8 google chrome personalities going at any given time. What a nightmare.

Atlassian SSO is pretty bad, we didn't ask for it, you added it, it broke so much workflow. And Bitbucket is still not properly integrated and that lack of integration is moving us to pay 2x to github in the new year. It is that bad.

Sometimes we joke that some UX people must have long-dated short positions on Atlassian stock and are going to make a killing someday.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

Great to know that JIRA Cloud navigation will be looking consistent with JIRA Server.

Lisa Bowen December 17, 2019

I'm looking forward to this update! I was a Jira Server admin at my previous company. It's been quite an adjustment in my new position as a Jira Cloud user/admin. I really dislike the UI in Cloud. I had no idea the interfaces were so different. It will be nice for them to be more consistent. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events