A better navigation for Jira Cloud is coming soon [available now]

241 comments

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

Hi everyone, 

Thank you all for the responses and feedback!

@Nic Steenhout

Great question. The new navigation is being built on our Atlassian design system, which conforms to WCAG 2.0 AA standards. We've improved the keyboard navigation, reduced our use of icon-only buttons, and drastically improved the contrast for custom colour themes to ensure that people unfamiliar with things like 508/WCAG can't accidentally generate a theme with colours which would be unreadable.

@Cooper,

Yes. The left navigation where you find Backlog, Boards, Releases, etc will stay the same. We will be looking at making incremental improvements to reduce some of the added clicks required to go to nested elements like Reports and Project settings, but more to come on this in the future.

@Travis, @G ,

The new navigation does look and feel very similar to the old one; however, there will be a few improvements to its responsiveness and performance.

Yes, we will be retaining the collapse interaction for those of you who prefer extra horizontal screen real estate. We will also retain the look & feel theming so that you can change the Jira logo to whatever suits you best.

Clicking on the logo will bring you to the ‘Your work’ page, which will become the new homepage in the future. I understand that there is some desire to have the Dashboard set as the homepage for some, but we have seen in our research and data that only a small subset of our users use Dashboards.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

@Charlie Reitzel ,

One of our key values at Atlassian is to do right for our customers. In this instance, we received overwhelming feedback from customers that the current navigation in Jira Cloud was limiting. To do right for you we designed a new navigation that over 95% of early testers preferred over the current one. We understand that change can be tiresome.

To minimize the impact of this change we want to put you in the driver seat and give you flexibility when we roll out the change. If you want the new navigation early, you can sign up for our early access program or opt-out until a later date. We are also letting you know now (many months beforehand) so you can plan accordingly and minimize any disruptions.

@David Ford ,

Great question. Yes, we are planning on introducing that functionality into the EAP as well. Stay tuned for details!

@Jerry Huiskamp ,

This change will impact all Jira Cloud products, including Jira Core.

@Kevin Labrum ,

The whole instance will be given the new navigation, but it’ll be up to your individual end-users to opt-in to the experience. We will not be forcing any of your instance’s users into the new navigation.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2019

@Florin Moldoveanu ,

Hi Florian - we just released a new burndown chart for next-gen you can read more about from my colleague Ivan here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/We-are-reinventing-the-Sprint-burndown-for-next-gen-projects/ba-p/1192403. The new burndown chart has many new and highly requested features! Also if you are more comfortable with Excel we released an official Excel plugin for Jira yesterday, give it a spin: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/office/WA200000556?tab=Overview

In terms of the new nav, you can try out the new navigation today using a Chrome extension. We used the extension for early concept testing (so beware it has a few rough edges). In those tests over 95% of users preferred it over the old one. We hope we can add you to this list.

@Fredrik Svensson ,

Here's an example of what JSD will look like with the new navigation. 

Next-gen service desk (sneak peek).png

Nataliya Deduchenko November 14, 2019

Quick question. Might have missed this being addressed already. 

Will the mobile instance receive these updates? 

Philipp Suchan
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2019

@Nataliya Deduchenko - the navigation for the Jira mobile apps (iOS and Android) will not change.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2019

Hey @Nataliya Deduchenko ,

Thanks for the comment! Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by mobile instance? Are you referring to the Jira native iOS/Android app? Or are you referring to the mobile viewport from the web application? Just want to make sure we understand what you're after :) 

Cheers,

Matt

Nataliya Deduchenko November 15, 2019

@Matt Tse  I was asking about IOS/Android App. Thank you for following up. 

Eric Palmitesta November 19, 2019

Hi @Matt Tse, will this navigation change apply to both Classic and Next-Gen projects?

jpeters November 19, 2019

"New"? LOL!

You mean the good navbar UI from the on-premise-installs are finally coming to replace the horrible cloud Navigation.

I am really glad, I don't like the current one..

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2019

Hi @Eric Palmitesta ,

Yes this navigation change will apply to both Classic and next-gen projects.

@jpeters , thanks for your feedback! It's not exactly the same as the on-prem installs, but close! Happy to hear you're as excited as we are :)

Surmont Nicolas November 19, 2019

a dark theme coming soon ?

Sebastian Goltz November 20, 2019

I really like the new navigation 

khalil November 20, 2019

Compared to what's currently out there Jira's UI is annoying and sucks, I'm sorry but that's my honest opinion.
And by the time this 'new' UI is released it a lot of people would have moved on.

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2019

@Nataliya Deduchenko , as mentioned by Philipp, there are no plans to be changing the navigation for the iOS/Android apps. I've chatted with my colleague who works on the native apps and we will make sure that the two aren't wildly different.

@Surmont Nicolas , we're building up interest in bringing a dark mode to Jira. If you haven't already, please check out our public Jira issue and follow it for the latest progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-63150.

@Sebastian Goltz , glad to hear you like it! If you want to elaborate, I'd love to hear why you prefer it!

@khalil , no need to apologize. You're completely free to express your opinion. I'd love to better understand what aspects of Jira's UI are particularly painful for you. If you care to elaborate, please email me at mtse[at]atlassian.com. Thanks!

Mouli November 27, 2019

@Matt Great work with the Extension.. Loved it..

Made it easy to create issues, Switch between projects and boards and gave more real estate to work with! Kudos for the awesome work..

One consistent bug noticed though.. # Notifications was a handy feature in the left pane. That seemed to be missing here. Even the red dot on the notification button wasn't showing up..

And the discussion forum link provided in the popup doesn't work! :)

David Cameron November 27, 2019

I'm glad you are making the features that were beta tested in the extension permanent. It's great that you've now realised the mistake in the changes to the navigation.

My only issue is that you're not planning to release this til Q1202, and until then the extension will not function. This needs to be reconsidered.

Sebastian Goltz November 28, 2019

@Matt Tse  i downloaded the Addon for the new Navigation, but I still have one problem:

If i click on a Notification in Service Desk i allways get to the old view and i dont know why

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2019

@Mouli , @Sebastian Goltz Thanks for sharing your feedback. Would you mind sending me an email with the problem you're encountering? mtse[at]atlassian.com

@David Cameron , You've seen it already in the other post, but we will be extending the life of the extension for our Jira customers until the new navigation is ready to be rolled out. 

Alexey Turchanikov December 11, 2019

With all the great news, there is a single most important item that blocks larger teams from using Next Gen projects, "parallel sprints": https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17195

It's #17 in Next Gen requests by votes and the only one between #1 and #17 that makes Next Gen unusable for most companies.

Dave_Liao December 11, 2019

Glad to see these changes, especially as someone who jumps between Cloud and Server instances like it's his job. Oh wait...

Tom Horton December 11, 2019

I'm not using Next-Gen template projects. Does this new UI change apply to classic projects?

Jeff Bacon December 11, 2019

Glad to see that the navigation is migrating back to the "older" Jira Software style of a top nav. That's much easier for people (based on feedback from people I've switched to Jira Cloud) than the multi-level side nav.

EwaBo December 11, 2019

Why no one is asking me how I would like JIRA to look like? Is user really that important for you guys? 

Deb Page December 11, 2019

I'm hoping I misunderstood your response to the question about dashboards. Are you saying that if we have a dashboard set up that shows us everything we need to know about what's going on with our tickets in Jira and that is currently what comes up first for us in Jira, that is no longer going to be possible in the new version...that we are constantly going to have to click through to the dashboards every single time we open up jira? I don't know what sample you used to say only a small amount of users use dashboards, but the vast majority of developers at our company use them. It should at least be an option of which one comes up first, the Your work or last viewed.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events