A better navigation for Jira Cloud is coming soon [available now]

241 comments

faruqh1 April 9, 2020

love the left menus. I thought getting rid of the top bar was awesome. Sad to see it back

wu he April 9, 2020

good job. I think new navigation is better than old one.

Rick April 9, 2020

I like the focus brought about with the "My Work" screen.  It would be really nice if there was a way in that view, to separate what I have been working on lately, from what I"m going to work on today.  Being able to focus on one or two tasks today has always been my biggest challenge when using Jira.  My team is not in software development, and we use a Kanban style board.  In any given week, each team member has about 5-10 tasks they are working on, so even for a small team of 6 people, as their manager, it makes it very difficult for them individually, and for me to see what they are working on today.  Having more tools to focus on today would be very useful.

Daniel Sidney April 9, 2020

Mais uma vez vocês estão de parabéns!

Steve Howe April 9, 2020

To call this top nav menu an improvement is a bit misleading. JIRA used to have a top nav menu that worked great for years, but then Atlassian changed it to the awful left side menu that everyone hates (likely without much quality community testing/feedback). While this new change to move the nav menu back to the top, and basically function how it did previously, could be considered an improvement, let's be honest and call it what it really is... a revert.

Chris Rodriguez April 9, 2020

Thanks - works great!

adriana Caraballo April 9, 2020

Excelente, espero sea pronto la llegada!

Klaus D. Zuidwijk April 9, 2020

When is this going live?!? It's great!

Steven van Soeren April 9, 2020

This looks much better, seems more intuitive and clean/simple as well. Nice job.

Andy Badke April 9, 2020

Nice work @Matt Tse ! 

Deleted user April 9, 2020

Yep, can't wait to try it!!  Always like new features!

Shad Reynolds April 9, 2020

Will we finally have a single unified text editing experience?

Mohammed Shuaib Mumtaz April 10, 2020

Great! keep innovating!

I'd really like some more power and improvements to roadmapping capabilities. 

Look forward to hearing more...

Ethan V. April 10, 2020

Do we have to have Jira Labs turned on to access the new navigation? Because I want an experience as close to Server as possible, with Classic projects and the New Navigation. I do not want to see next-gen project anywhere and I'll be annoyed if we have to turn Jira Labs back on in order to get the new look. As the Atlassian Admin for this large corp, I told everybody to turn off Jira Labs due to the "next-gen"-style forms on classic project causing errors when using addons.

Jorge Dieguez April 10, 2020

Awesome! UI improvements are always exciting!

Richard Shearwood April 13, 2020

Ooh how exciting! Finally full keyboard navigation without needing to constantly interrupt my workflow with mouse interactions!

No? Is that not it? 

Cheryl Busby April 13, 2020

I prefer the top navigation tool.  Thanks!

Boris_Nienke April 15, 2020

I don't really get it... My Displays are getting wider and wider (4:3 -> 16:10 -> 16:9 -> 21:9 -> ...) I have a lot horizontal screen estate - it's the vertical space that's limited. 

If i now let the Navigation take up a full line of space on the Top of the screen, i'll lose space for viewing Backlog Items or Sprint-Cards etc. 

so far i prefer the (collapsable) navigation on the sidebar

Phil W April 16, 2020

I went to Like Boris Nienke's comment but as soon as I logged in the Like buttons disappeared! How stupid is that?!

Luis Dias April 16, 2020

I LOVE the new Navigation, the only thing is ....

It'd be GREAT if the "Your Work" page, which is a homepage, could be changed to whatever page is appropriate to each individual, based on their needs.

Some people may want their "My Work" page to be a specific project they're currently working on, and be able to change it when they're working on a new project. Or a Dev Tech may want his "My Work" page to be a specific filter, dashboard, etc ... 

The ability to edit the "My Work" page allows each user to take control over their work.

matthew moulton April 16, 2020

I agree with Luis Dias. During the preview via the Google Chrome addon, the Dashboard was the one that was set to the homepage, I was disappointed to learn that the dashboard as the homepage never followed onto the live version. I personally look at the dashboard for my type of work, for QA testing, developing and managing

G April 16, 2020

Reflecting on the side panel, I think the real problem was that it took two clicks to get to the "Main Menu"... I just use the . to navigate around Jira anyway, but I think if there was a way to get back to the Main Menu with a single keyboard shortcut or click, people would have liked it more (you get buried once in a project and have to resurface through multiple clicks).  With that said, since you wanted to go back to the top nav, two huge wins would be:

1. Allow us to collapse it (most power users don't need it when they are doing work and it takes up a ton of space)... make it a keyboard shortcut only if you really want (and only show something in the UI when it is collapsed to be able to pull it back down... for those that hit the shortcut by mistake)
  2. Allow us to control what is on it (we don't want People or Apps)
    1. My instances would prefer to only have Dashboards and Filters show at the top (keep it really clean just like this Community interface that has a single dropdown)
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2020

With this return to the top-nav bar, an old defect seems to have returned for searching issues:

• Navigate to issues and filters
  • Switch to advanced search
  • Start typing to trigger type-ahead search of something like issueType
  • Note windows scrolls up...
  • Select your entry from type-ahead list
  • Note that advanced search query is not visible; it is now hidden behind the top-nav bar
  • Scroll back down to access the query
Roman Rusev April 28, 2020

This looks promising

Greg Quinn April 28, 2020

When will you allow us to easily move a task from one story to another. The current 'move' feature UX is a joke and doesn't even make any sense?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events