Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

company managed timeline does not refresh view if issue is changed

Lukas Harrer July 9, 2024

Hi,

if I change something in an issue out of the timeline (e.g. Status to "Done"), the timeline does not refresh the view, instead the issue is still shown as "in progress" while in the field it is already "done". Only if I refresh the browser the view of the timeline is updated again. But doing so, I need to open / unfold the epic and task again to see the change of the subtask, as it does not automatically unfold / open all epics/tasks again.

Does somebody know how to solve this?

BG Lukas

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2024

Hi @Lukas Harrer -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Short answer: the page needs to be refreshed to update the timeline view for that scenario.

As a disclaimer, I am just another Jira user and have no specific knowledge of the internals of the application(s).

There are some things in Jira Cloud which dynamically update in the views based on changes to issues, settings, etc.  That sometimes applies for Jira project boards, backlogs, etc.  But there are many more areas where the view is based on the point-in-time information when the view was displayed (such as for timeline).  And then there are things in the middle, such as dashboard gadgets which can have an automated update setting on a specific cadence.

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy

Thanks for the fast reply!
So why is there a difference in company-managed and team-managed projects....Latter refreshes immediately if I draw, eg. a block/linked issue. First, does not refresh and shows the block only after refreshing the page.

Is there any setting to have the team-manages behavior in company-managed projects?

Bg Lukas

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2024

Team-managed projects (TMP) are a more recently added set of features to Jira, and differ in many ways from company-managed (CMP) ones.  And so the underlying code appears to differ to support those things you observe (and creates some incompatibility with other Jira features).  The TMP target audience is for teams managing their own boards, issue types, workflows, etc. without the assistance of their Jira Site Admin.

There appear to be some aspects of TMP which are gradually being added to CMP, but there is no setting to "make my CMP work like TMP".

Thank you for the answer Bill Sheboy.
Do you also know if there are any near future plans to add those minimum features to CMP?
Otherwise I have to think again to change for a TMP, as the CMP is not useable without a refreshing timeline...

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2024

I do not, as I am just another Jira user with no special access / information  :^)

My recommendation would be to read the weekly blog updates for upcoming changes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog

And, to add watches in the community articles for Jira updates, perhaps on keywords like "team-managed".

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events