Question about using incoming emails to create issues in different projects.

Lori June 15, 2022

I am trying to set up processes so that incoming emails can be entered into different projects based on the email address.  Our company has many email restrictions which prohibit us from having a separate email for a non-employee (for example, I can't have an email address that is operations@companyname.com).  That would have to be a group and we don't have associated usernames and passwords for those emails.  

Let's say I have files that are sent to us via email from our clients and we need to upload those files through a script process (calling this "operations@companyname.com").  And let's also say that new orders are sent to us via email from our sales team (calling this "salesorder@companyname.com" and we need to fulfill the order request.  I would like to have those incoming emails create issues in their respective projects.

I am wondering if you feel the following would work or if you would have any other suggestions.

1. Set up an email handler to add a task in the Operations project and catch only those emails that have a cc: to autojiraops@companyname.com.

2. Set up an email handler to add a task in the Sales Order project and cath only those emails that have a cc: to autojirasalesorder@companyname.com.

3. Have our company set up an email group for autojiraops@companyname.com.

4. Have our company set up an email group for autosalesorder@companyname.com.

5. When an email comes into operations@companyname.com, the email would be forwarded to our default Jira incoming mail servicer (jira@companyname.atlassian.net) and cc: forwarded to autojiraops@companyname.com.

6. When an email comes into salesorder@companyname.com, the email would be forwarded to our default Jira incoming mail servicer (jira@companyname.atlassian.net) and cc: forwarded to autosalesorder@companyname.com.

Any feedback or better suggestions on this would be helpful.

Thank you.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events