Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Jira REST API can not use for free plan users ?

ARCode August 8, 2021

I always getting these error when try to create issue via REST API 

Field 'Summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

Is this REST API can be use on FREE plan users ? 

I've check the permissions for the user and all seems ok.

The user has administrator level for that project.

May I know what I'm missing here ?

2 answers

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2021

Could you maybe share your REST payload? Maybe something is wrong there.

The error message isn't always that accurate. You can get this specific one too if you just cannot see the field or if you are somehow trying to access the wrong issue type/project

ARCode August 9, 2021

Sure @Dirk Ronsmans ,

Here is my JSON raw data send to create the issue

{
"fields": {
"Summary": "TEST REST API",
"issuetype": {
"name": "Task"
},
"project": {
"key": "OPS2021"
}
}
}

and here is the response result

{
"errorMessages": [],
"errors": {
"Summary": "Field 'Summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."
}
}

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2021

Hi @ARCode ,

Could you try it by changing the case of the word summary to all lowercase?

I do believe it is case sensitive and Summary is not the same as summary

So:

{
"fields":{
      "summary": "TEST REST API",
     "issuetype": {
"name": "Task"
},
"project":{
"key": "OPS2021"        
}    
}
}

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
ARCode August 9, 2021

I have try it but i still wont work...is the REST API Need specific permission ?

The administrator is not enough?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

Do you still get the exact same error message?

The API doesn't need specific permissions it requires the same permissions as if you were to create a ticket manually thru the UI. 

So if your administrator account can create an issue in the project manually then it should also be able to do so thru the API

ARCode August 10, 2021

Yes, @Dirk Ronsmans , I'm afraid I still getting the same errors, do you have another suggestions ? 

I have set another field as required fields, but in my RAW data, I just post "summary" field value, is can be cause the problem ?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

well that would give you a problem yes but the error would be different imho.

You could try a few things:

• create a new issue type/or even a project as a test and not set anything mandatory and see if that works
  • can you do any other calls towards that project, like a createmeta or reading of an issue?

a create issue is often the trickiest one that there is (besides maybe an update) so it would be easier to take this step by step and troubleshoot each action.

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2021

Hi @ARCode ,

according to the error message I would check, if Summary field is on Create issue screen in your project, where you are trying to create the issue.

See more here about screens.

ARCode August 9, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová 

Thanks for the answer, I've check over and over again on my screens settings, the summary field is in there .. You can see my screen capture.

image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events