Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to archive issues/tasks in Jira Cloud

Peter Wilczynski September 7, 2021

How to archive issues/tasks in Jira Cloud? Having hundreds of completed tasks visible is very unnecessary.

My company have multiple projects, mainly named after the team rather than functionality. 
Projects like: Software, Finance, Marketing Customers and more. 

Every single project has a stage for completed issues/tasks named like for example "Done" or "Created". 

Currently, I can't find a user-friendly solution to archive the completed issues/tasks. 

We were using Trello before and it was possible to just create automation or a button where any issue in the "Done" stage was archived either after a click on the button or after few days since the issue was moved to the "Done" stage. 

Have anyone found a similar solution? 

2 answers

1 vote
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2021

Hello @Peter Wilczynski 

You can't do it by default, here is an open request for it 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-5843

But here is what I do, I have a project to which no one except admin/admins has access and I move issues there, of course, they are labeled or have components so I can find them easily later.

BR, Olga

Peter Wilczynski September 7, 2021

Hi @Olga Videc  

I already commented in the conversation from your link. The answer is given in 2015 basically says we won't implement archiving. 

Your solution seems like I would need to do whole team admin work for them. As you can imagine we won't give everyone admin in Jira so that they can move the closed tasks to separate Archiving project. 

Is your solution allows to move all closed issues to the "Archived" project automatically and in bulk?

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2021

You are right you would need to do it daily, I bulk edit issues every few days. 

Automation rule can't move issues.

But just had an idea, what you can do is add issue security level after the issue is resolved or in a particular status.

Create a global rule that would be triggered when issues are transitioned to specific status/es or resolution is set and the rule would edit the issue and security level would be applied, you add a specific group/user/role to the security level, so even you don't see those issue, you can grant the permission later by editing security level access in administration.

BR, Olga

Peter Wilczynski September 8, 2021

@Olga Videc 

Creating a security level rule is some sort of automation and solution for this problem but I assume the administrators would still see all the completed issues. ~

I got a response from the support team with an ok solution for the software projects allowing to hide old completed issues. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for business projects. 

I'm awaiting any further info in regards to either hiding or archiving completed tasks in business projects. 

Link to the solution for software projects: 
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/

Like Olga Videc likes this
0 votes
Drew Cox November 3, 2021

This is an important point as people want to see what they have achieved in a sprint so clearing out the Done status is required.

I work around this by adding a work flow status of "Archived" and move it to the far right on the board. Task assignees can move their Done items to Archive when they want.

It would be good to make a rule but I can't find a way to trigger it - for example - status has been Done for > 2 weeks. No problem changing the status but how to trigger it? I guess I could set up the move rule and just manually enable it for a few minutes as an Admin at the beginning of each sprint to archive the Done items from the last sprint.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events