Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Done Items missing from Board

Why are done items missing on my boards?   I can see them under the list.   Is there a filter setting that can be adjusted to fix this?

3 answers

@Rusty Yates There's a number of reason this can occur. Can I ask whether you are the Administrator for the board you're having issues with? Also, when you say you can see them in the list, do you mean from the Issue view?

There's some things we could check:

1. Check the filter your board is using.
  2. Are the items you're missing older than 2 weeks? By default, Jira will hide issues from the board after 2 weeks.
  3. Check if the Done status is mapped to your Done column.
  4. Are there any sub-filters applied that may be filtering your issues?

Yes.  I'm the administrator.   Yes.  I can see them on the List or Issues view.   But not the Board view.   On your other questions:

1.  No filters

2. Yes these are older than 2 weeks.   How do I change default setting?

3.  How do i check that?

4. Not that I can see.   This is a fresh setup so most of this is whatever is default.

Like Samuel Stephens likes this

Hey @Rusty Yates

Cool, so Project Administrators can usually manage boards, to configure your board:

1. Click the 'Board' drop down in the top right hand corner of your board and select 'Configure'
  2. You'll have a few options in this window, you can set the Default for hiding issues here (it's second from the bottom I think), you'll see it's likely set at 2 weeks
  3. If that's not the problem, I'd suggest having a look at the filter your board is using and check it's functional. Most boards need a filter so they known which issues to show (by default I think it creates one like 'Filter for board X'
  4. The filter is based on some simple JQL so a good way to check if it's going to work is copying it and running through the issue search to see what it returns

My only other thought is to ask what Status your issues are in? If they're still in backlog you may possibly have the backlog enabled which will put the issues in another tab before they show up on your board. You can check this by:

1. Under the option for the Boards in the left hand panel may be a button for backlog
  2. Click this and check whether your issues are in there.

If you can, provide a screenshot of your board and it's configuration and I'll have a glance and see if there's anything out of order.

Good luck!

Sam

Thanks Sam!   It is like I don't have all the options.   I'm still in the free version so I wonder if that is it.   I don't have a "Board" drop down.   I have no filters.   When I click on list tab, I don't see done items at first but I can click on filters and select show done or on the ...More drop down, I have option to show done.   These options are not available on the Board view.   

Don't see anything for backlog on left panel.   

Screen shots below.   Hope that helps.

2023-01-11_08-40-17.jpg2023-01-11_08-40-38.jpg2023-01-11_08-40-55.jpg2023-01-11_08-41-05.jpg

My apologies @Rusty Yates

I've had my head stuck in Data Centre recently and didn't realise you're using the free Cloud instance. Some of the things I've mentioned regarding boards will be different.

I've just tested this and should hopefully be a simple fix. As you've said, Jira Cloud has a toggle option to hide 'Done' issues from your list, this option looks like it also affects the board. I have a pretty default board I just tested this on.

To make your 'Done' issues viewable in the board, go to:

1. List
  2. ...More
  3. Toggle 'Show done items' to enabled (green tick)
  4. Navigate back to your board and you should see the items in the 'Done' column.

Hopefully this should fix the issue, if you've already tried that and it didn't work please let me know.

Just discovering this after banging my head for an hour and raising a bug in my own system.
How F'ed up is the decision to FILTER OUT something WITHOUT a /EXPLICITLY  advising the users of this and b/ not giving the user any control over this?
(I'm on a paid plan, not a free plan).

At this point, I think I'd like to literally get rids of all boards across all my projects. They are just fancy displays that cannot have any useful configuration settings and that that end up creating confusion for users.

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

@Pierre Lonchampt 

The hiding of done issues functionality varies depending on the project type (Software vs. Work Management) and the architecture (Team Managed vs. Company Managed).

The Work Management (Team and Company managed) and Software Team Managed Kanban don't allow configuration of the "hide done" option, but Software Company Managed Kanban does.

You can create a secondary Kanban board manually, which behaves like a Software Company Managed Kanban, for any type of project by creating a Saved Filter for the issues in that project and basing the board on the filter. That would give you some control over the "hide done" feature for your project.

Like Esa Helteenvuori likes this

Thank you for the answers! So would the solution, for seeing also done-issues in a board view, be creating a Software Company Managed Kanban board? How do I know if my board is Software Company Managed Kanban or something else?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
Jan 04, 2024

@Esa Helteenvuori 

You can find the type of your project (i.e. "Software Company Managed") by looking at the Type column on the View all projects page available under the Projects menu. The project type is a combination of two elements:

1. The product (Business/Work Management, Software, or Service Management)

2. The "architecture" of the project (Team Managed or Company Managed)

The type of board (Kanban or Scrum) can be determined by whether or not you have the option to create Sprints in that board. Sprints are available only in Scrum boards.

Like Esa Helteenvuori likes this
3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Jan 11, 2023

Hello @Rusty Yates 

For a Business/Work Management project in Jira Cloud Done issues will be hidden from the board when they have been in that column for two or more weeks. This is not a configurable option.

Why would this be non-configurable.   How can someone see percentage of work complete when done items for a project completely disappear from board and summary page after 2 weeks?

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Jan 12, 2023

I cannot speculate on why Atlassian made this design choice.

To work around this you could create a separate Dashboard in Jira and use built in gadgets to display information based on a filter that retrieves all the issues in the project.

Like Michael Fox likes this

Honestly this is so myopic. Project 58% done? Nah, after two weeks it now shows 12% done. Clients love that.

Like # people like this

Agreed.  I loved the board view in the first 2 weeks of my project, but now it is completely useless.   I don't understand how product designers can be so out of touch with how their products get used.

Like # people like this

Yes, this is a problem.

It's the first time I've used Workflow Management instead of software to set up a project.

As it's a smaller client, we're reviewing tasks monthly. The board is now useless for SEO/Analytics task owners to reference what content or dev changes had been implemented.

The project summary data is misleading.

It seems bizarre to tie these project/workflow types so rigidly to enterprize 2 week sprint logic.

Like # people like this
jim_webb
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
Dec 14, 2023

Thank you you all for bringing this information to light.  I thought I was losing my mind when DONE items just disappeared.  Absolutely inane that it is not a configurable setting.

This seems like the result of a hack the dev team implemented to make some other feature work properly... because I can't fathom how this could be seen as functionality that is actually useful.

My work around for this was to create a new column which is not having the done-status and not using the column which has it. One can always name the column as Done. I don't know what it does to statistics like % of work done but at least it works for me.

Neil R Bernhart
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
Jan 12, 2024

I'm about to do this. Creating a "Completed" status column, moving all items with Done status. 

Did you delete the existing Done column, and then rename your new column to Done?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events