Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create multiple level subtasks for Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) in Jira

Zhuo Wang September 16, 2021

Hello, 

I am currently trying to create multiple-level subtasks for WBS on Jira Business Project. However, the current Jira Business Project can only generate Task & one-level Subtask. Does anybody have experience in generating subtasks for each subtask?

Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2021

Out-of-the-box Jira projects have at most a 3-level hierarchy on issue types.  If you need to extend that hierarchy, you need to look at a Marketplace app like Structure.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your recommendation. I will take a look at Structure app in Marketplace.

Zhuo

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Zhuo Wang September 20, 2021

Hello Robert,

I installed the Structure plugin in our cloud JIRA environment. We are currently in the plugin's trial period. Using the Cloud version Structure, we still cannot move subtasks left and right, because "Manual Adjustment" cannot be set up even though I have admin privileges.

Some people mentioned that Server version can solve this problem? Since there are several options for Structure, Do you know which one is the right version to use for this problem?

Thank you very much for your help!

Zhuo

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 22, 2021

Hello Zhuo,

We'll be glad to provide more information about Structure and help you to achieve what want with it, if possible. Please contact us directly at support.almworks.com for proper support and we'll get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Zhuo Wang September 22, 2021

Hello Stepan,

I just sent an email to support@almworks.com. Hopefully could get the proper support from them.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Zhuo

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 17, 2021

Hi @Zhuo Wang

If you consider using an additional application, BigPicture/BigGantt seems to be a good match! 

With this plugin, you can create an automatic,  no-limited number of WBS levels. Task Structure can be created based on both build-in task attributes (e.g., Epic link, Component, Version, Sprint) as well as Jira links (e.g., Parent-Child relation). 

Here, you will find a short video presenting how to create desired task structure (WBS) in BigPicture/BigGantt. I hope you will find it helpful.
Anna
Zhuo Wang September 22, 2021

Hi Anna,

I did some research on BigPictures/BigGantt and watched the short video, and found it is an option to create WBS task structure.

Thank you very much for your information,

Zhuo

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
September 22, 2021

Hi @Zhuo Wang

You are welcome! Please remember to tag me in case of further questions. I will gladly answer.

Have a good day!
0 votes
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2021

Hi @Zhuo Wang

You're able to use Epics -> Stories/Tasks -> sub-tasks in terms of hierarchy, which gives you three levels of hierarchy. 

If you're looking to break down work even further in a WBS, the easiest way to do so is via Advanced Roadmaps but it is offered as a Jira Software Premium service only. When you enable Advanced Roadmaps, it allows you to create multiple levels of hierarchies and comes out of the box as a feature with Jira Software Premium.

As Robert mentioned above, you could do this via a third-party app too if you don't have Jira Software Premium or don't want to upgrade due to costs.

Finally, you can check out our blog on this as well.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

I can find Epics from Jira Software, but now I use different project (Jira Business Project) to manage tasks. I will check out your blog and the third-party app.

Thank you,

Zhuo

Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2021

Hi @Zhuo Wang

You can add Epics and Stories as issue types to your Jira Business project. Similar in hierarchy but you wouldn't have the ability to create custom hierarchies. Apologies for missing that you're using Jira Business project instead of Jira Software.

If you are using Jira for project management though, I'd suggest looking into using Jira Software as combined with Advanced Roadmaps or even Roadmaps. Allows you to create Plans, Programs and the ability to create Roadmaps.

Jacob

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events