(x) and (/) no longer makes a red cross or green tick in JIRA. Why? Is there a work around?

Marilize Laskey July 17, 2018

Good evening all,

We always used (/) for green ticks and (x) for red crosses. We used this in our check lists, to show which ones has been done and which ones was not.

But now it does not work anymore, it does not show a symbol. Is there a new way?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Marilize

5 answers

4 votes
Joseph Gordon January 24, 2019

I am also unsuccessful trying to use (/) to create a green check in the JIRA new view.  

Interestingly, I can switch to old view and create the green check...then...switch back to the new view and the Green check is still there.

Since this approach is not sustainable has anyone else found a solution yet?   

Our version does not have the drop down of icons to pick from. 

Machiel February 8, 2019

I'm having the same issue. Only workaround I found was inserting an emoji with Ctrl CMD Space. But this doesn't work as easy as typing the (x).

Joseph Gordon February 8, 2019

Thank you, Machiel.  Can you please provide more detail on how you used Ctrl CMD to insert the emoji?  I'm not familiar with this.  Thanks!

Martin Hilbig February 22, 2019

apparently double post.

Below the editor of the new viewchrome_2019-02-22_13-47-04.pngcompared to the old one:chrome_2019-02-22_13-47-18.png

As you can see, the emoji option is gone.

Adding a symbol per text macro by typing (/) does not work in the new view. switching to the old view and opening the descritpion for editing shows, that the (/) macro gets an escape backslash added to it, resulting in \(/) and thus breaking the macro.

removing the backslash in the old view and switching back to the new view keeps the escaping backslash gone and the macro working.

Someone in QA needs his butt kicked.

Like # people like this

I'm on Jira Cloud btw.

Machiel February 22, 2019

@Joseph Gordon that's just making use of the Mac default emoji. Press and hold ctrl+cmd+space, then either use movement keys or mouse to select the emoji you want to use: ❌✅

You might have to search for them the first time you want to use them.

Like my above poster, Jira Cloud here too.

Like # people like this

For Windows Users:   WIN+.   (Thats the Windows key and period key pressed simultanously) will open the Emoji window,

Using it for the first time, you will need to search for the correct checkmark (or any other) and for later uses it will be in the front among the recently used icons.

Like Dennis Tai likes this
Askar Kalykov April 29, 2019

I wonder what was the intention to remove these icons? There is no other way to have a todo list in Jira anyway :/

2 votes
Francis Malina March 22, 2021

So if you start typing a colon ":" and add a "c" if you didn't select an emoji before, it will autosuggest :check_mark: so press enter. It's 2 keystrokes away (3 the first time).

Joe Hockaday June 23, 2021

This is the answer that worked for me.

1 vote
Victor Cordeiro Costa April 23, 2021

All solutions that I can see here is a workaround solution instead of enabling the feature to paste the (x) and (/) properly again...

I'm constantly loosing unnecessary amount time formatting the whole text again during refinements of my Scrum.

I hope the Jira team bring back this feature again

Cheers

Victor Cordeiro Costa June 23, 2021

I fixed this issue by using the old design approach, which had the (x) and (/) working properly

Please, don't remove the compatibility with the old design! It is important to our team :/

Cheers! ;)

1 vote
Deleted user October 16, 2018

I was using Uppercase (X), which didn't work. But when I selected it from the icons, it is a lower case (x). Typing it works as well.

1 vote
jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2018

Hello @Marilize Laskey,

Out of curiosity, if you try to select the Icons directly with the dropdown, does it work?

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 4.05.49 PM.png

Marilize Laskey July 17, 2018

Hi Julien,

I don't have those options :( Below is what my options are. Is there maybe something I can type in the text box?

Or is it something extra you need to buy on Jira?

Capture.JPG

Like Askar Kalykov likes this
jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

Hello,

On my side, it is built in with no add-on needed. I am on version 7.7 on that screenshot...

If I think of something I'll come back to reply!

Suggest an answer